Weird thing happened

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Arvean, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Arvean macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm not an expert on OS X, however recently I've been trying to spend more time with the system to learn and possibly switch from W7.

The weirdest thing happened last night. I'm was trying to uninstall istat 3.0 from my system and it froze( the beach ball ). After force quiting it, i tried to start Word but the icon would only keep on bouncing and stop after a minute. No error message no nothing.

I was sure it's an issue with Office itself, but no other software is starting. Mental Case, UnrarX, Excel, even Ponyvid, just bounce their icon around for 30-40 seconds and wont start.

The only software that works are Apple's own Safari, Mail, Calendar , iPhoto and iTunes. They start normally with no fuss.

I tried restarting and even creating another user account, and it didn't help.

Is it possible that istat 3.0 blew something in the system? If so, what can it be? Anybody had this kind of situation before? Any fix on hand?
    What should I do next?

Thanks in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wow! From zero to expert in just 5 months! Impressive! If you're an expert, why are you asking us? I don't know any of us who would make that claim, so you probably know far more than we do!

3. Arvean thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize.

As you can see from the context I meant NOT an EXPERT

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I probably would... But that was probably a typo on the OPs part.

To the OP. If a new user account didn't fix it, then the problem probably exists somewhere in the local resources (/Library). Maybe the iStat uninstaller fubar'd some permissions.

Since I am not at your machine, I can't tell you what the problem is exactly. You will have to figure it out yourself.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried running Activity Monitor to see what's running and taking system resources?

6. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

More info about what actions were taken would help.
    What steps did "uninstall istat" consist of in this case?

As for the current misbehavior, are there any messages in Console.app (system.log, etc.) that seem relevant?