Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slomifier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
A while ago, I had my 1g iTouch, jailbroken. I downloaded something from the Installer that changed my power and wifi indicators from pictures to numbers. I saved a backup, cause I'm smart. Later on, I bought a 2g, and loaded the backup onto it. I noticed that the backup had caused my 2g's power and wifi indicators to turn into numbers (which I prefer); even though my 2g isn't jailbroken. Is there anyway I could extract the backup and find the part that changes the indicators? I tried using winzip and and windows extractor, but both said that the backup file wasn't a valid file.

Sorry if my question is confusing. Just ask and I'll clear up any confusion.

Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Some changes made to jailbroken touch/iphone are saved to system files, which are backed up with other system data, and are restored to non-jailbroken devices when the backup is used to restore them. The only way I know of to "fix" this is to jailbreak the restored device, undo the changes, make a new backup, and restore to that backup.

Or you could set it up as "new."

slomifier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I don't want to fix it, I prefer the numbers over the symbols, I want to know if it's possible to get into the backup and copy out the change so, if in the future, I start a new backup, I can putthe change into the new backup.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't want to fix it, I prefer the numbers over the symbols, I want to know if it's possible to get into the backup and copy out the change so, if in the future, I start a new backup, I can putthe change into the new backup.

I don't think anyone ever bothered to try to decrypt and edit the backup files like that. All you need to do is jailbreak, apply the numbers, then unjailbreak. Much simpler than messing around with the backup files!

slomifier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I have a 2g now, and arn't those unjailbreakable, or has that been solved?

Anyways, is there a way to decrypt them without extensive computer programming skills?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.