Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Since I got this G5 it's done this weird thing were if it's shut off for maybe a week or more, the wallpaper resets to what it was before the current one. Never mentioned it because it's not been a big deal. Originally I figured it was just from the OG Leopard install. But two new leopard installs later (Not for that reason), it still does it. Any ideas?

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Have you checked your hard drive lately? Any other oddities?
The original drive in it was a 2.5in drive that was dying, it also had that issue I remember. One of the first quirks I noticed. I now have a new drive, WD Blue purchased in 2015.
Just remembered, the first few times this happened it did give me an error message, no code but said something about Caches. Not sure why the issue would continue on another drive with a new install, not a clone. Only thing I could think is maybe it sometimes 'forgets' things when it's shut off? Maybe sign of a PRAM or SMC problem?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's probably related to what you stated.

Caches do just that. They cache things. It's probably remembering that because the cache is corrupt or something like that.

First, repair your permissions. Download Onyx (scroll down for your version of OS X) and use it to clean your caches. Then see what happens from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.