Weird things happen after recent Firmware update...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by megamouse, Dec 19, 2008.

1. megamouse macrumors member

Just notice a few really annoying NEW "features" added by the recent firmware update:

1. When using 9400M, temperature has jumped to 40 celsius +

It used to be around 22 celsius, Apple !

Just when i thought we finally had a MBP that felt normal...

2. Battery charing time has been prolonged, now it takes up to 3.5 hours to fully charge the battery, when shut down.

Once again tribute to the genius in the infinite loop who screw up my machine.

Do you guys encounter similar problems?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

22 degrees? Did you live in a freezer? :confused:

44 sounds normal.

3. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Um.. 22C is about 71F.. Thats less then room temperature.. Do you honestly expect a computer to EVER run equal or less then room temp?

Maybe for 10 minutes after taking it out of a car..

For comparison, I'm at 63C on the 9600 just doing normal everyday things and average 45-50 on the 9400 when doing idle work.

I think you need to get all the facts before getting all ARGHHH on apple.

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

I agree with point #2, I didn't time it but at least subjectively it does seem to take longer to charge.

But yeah, #1 isn't an issue. If anything I'd be worried about how it could have been running at 22C, unless you're place is freezing.

5. Ploki macrumors 68010

well when i use it for about an hour i have enclousure temp around 24 celsius.
    but i have a cold apartment

6. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

er... it's winter now in the Northern Atmosphere

Room temp is around 12 - 15C here as we are not someone who don't concern about the environment and have their heating turn to 30C all year around.

7. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

that's what I'm talking about, mine used to be like that, I couldn't even feel the heat on my palms, but now the heat is so obvious

I know human feeling of temp is relative, but still there is a significant change since the update

8. kolax macrumors G3

Still, it won't have been 22'C for long.

No computer chip will remain 22'C when you start using the computer for 10 minutes. Sure you aren't on the 9600GT chip? That will run hotter than the 9400M chip.

But still, the 9400M will never stay 22'C. Even in a cool room.

9. firstjudge macrumors newbie

well regardless of whether it really was 22 degrees before I think after the Firmware update the machine runs warmer than before on the 9400... from my personal experience. I remember my machine actually felt cold before, not anymore.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Twelve degrees Celsius? indoors? I'm going to have to call BS.

11. infernohellion macrumors 6502

12. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

44ºC is definitely average for a MBP running on the 9400M. Mine ranges from 42ºC-46ºC or so under minimal stress (Safari browsing like now).

And... 12-15ºC indoors? Room temperature is 21ºC. It's cold here too (has been in the -30-(-35ºC) here for the last week or so) and we keep our house at 22-23ºC. Even at 15ºC ambient (which is about the lowest I'll believe that you have your house set at) I think the MBP would still be warmer than 22ºC.

In any case, mid 40's is totally normal.

--mAc

EDIT: One more thing that just occurred to me... from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Operating temperature for MBP: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

At 12ºC you're getting mighty close to 10ºC. Frankly, I'd be a little worried at that temperature. Warming the machine up rapidly from a temperature in the 10ºC range will produce condensation inside the machine. This is the reason why you should never operate a cold laptop until it has warmed to near room temperature, and also the reason for Apple's operating temp guidelines.

13. svndmvn Guest

time to use time machine,huh? just to check if it's all so different,no?

14. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

Call it whatever you like, I bet you never been to West Ardnamurchan, go google it

jeezzz, the greenhouse flowers this day -_-!!

15. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

emmm interesting, thanks for the info on operating temp, I have been using it on Scottish Highlands,

It's too freaking cold, and I don't lit the fire, just got my long johns on to get by (i know, they are not considered fashionable even in this part of the world) :p

16. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

yup, exactly, I wonder the firmware will alter the chipset settings to slightly overclock it

17. sk47 macrumors member

to the OP: yes you are right that the macbooks do tend to run a bit warmer (very slight in my experience). But before anything, do something about ur ambient room temperature. 12degrees Celsius room temperature is bad for you physiologically (and I'm being absolutely serious).

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yes, but as the OP has so kindly pointed out, we are all inconsiderate people who support global warming. Damn us and our whole taking care of our bodies thing... :rolleyes:

OP, you computer is probably just fine, and if it's not, Apple will fix it...

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i always have 50c+ on my mbp since i got it, and the one before the replacment.
    right now im on the 9600gt with a zalman aluminum cooling pad and im on 60c and right now here in cali its really cold.

20. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

lol i wasn't pointing figures to anyone, thanks for the assurance though

hehe i will be out of the highland and leave this ice cage behind, great scenery though

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well I for one have noticed a heat increase after the update.

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Your first objection is null. Regarding point #2, Apple has the ability to alter SMC Firmware. I assure you the recharge duration was modified to someone's benefit; perhaps longer trickle charging to extend the life of the battery.