Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
So, what are some weird things you have found under the keys of your computer keyboard?

For me, it would have been a thing that may have been a small piece of chicken under the command key on my old PowerBook G4. Very disturbing.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I have found cookie crumbs from various different brands lurking inside my Microsoft keyboard on my PC. Good enough?

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
DSCN0214.jpg

My toast crumb duster. :D

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I was idly cleaning out a keyboard that I was sitting in front of in my office while in a conference call. I took the casing off and shook it a bit, there was a lot of hair unearthed - but a high percentage I could see was of the type you wonder how it got there. The regular user of that machine is only capable of typing two-fingered, but I found myself wondering if he was also capable of typing two-bagged.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I was idly cleaning out a keyboard that I was sitting in front of in my office while in a conference call. I took the casing off and shook it a bit, there was a lot of hair unearthed - but a high percentage I could see was of the type you wonder how it got there. The regular user of that machine is only capable of typing two-fingered, but I found myself wondering if he was also capable of typing two-bagged.

That one is really scary. That's gonna give me nightmares for a week.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Some icky brown goo, probably from exposure to dust, moisture and stuff like that for the last five years. While on the subject of weird stuff, any tips to clean your keyboard?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Some icky brown goo, probably from exposure to dust, moisture and stuff like that for the last five years. While on the subject of weird stuff, any tips to clean your keyboard?

You'd need to get it open first. Apple uses those tiny screws -- I think they're Torx, but so small I can't tell for sure. I've never found a tool that works. Maybe somebody else knows.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Small winged bug. Ok so I didn't actually FIND it in there, but I saw it crawl in and it never came back out, I think I might have smashed it while typing.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC

This lady I help with computer stuff came in one day so I could fix her wireless...she'd been having an ant problem at home, and that morning she work up to find ants crawling in and out of her keyboard. There were still some in there when she brought it to me...:rolleyes:

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Dust and Dirt. Probably some crumbs in there too. Darn you Mr Christie. :p :D

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
When I first got my Thinkpad in the mail that I bought off ebay, i found a feather underneath the left hand control key. It was colorful too...

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
my work keyboard is always full of crumbs, or pastry bits, or muesli bar bits, hehe... not to mention hair, and other random items.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
list includes: cat hair, gummy bear(!), hair pins, staples, bank card (under iBook keyboad), cat claw sheaths, caramel sauce, contact lens, maggots (don't ask), tiny screws, twist ties, paperclips, tinsel, confetti, fake fingernails, nail polish flakes, and toothpick.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
list includes: cat hair, gummy bear(!), hair pins, staples, bank card (under iBook keyboad), cat claw sheaths, caramel sauce, contact lens, maggots (don't ask), tiny screws, twist ties, paperclips, tinsel, confetti, fake fingernails, nail polish flakes, and toothpick.

O_O

o_O

o_O

DAMN, did you get those out of your keyboards, or are you a technician of sorts?

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
O_O

o_O

o_O

DAMN, did you get those out of your keyboards, or are you a technician of sorts?

My keyboards, from my computers, some were at work with me and colleagues borrowed computers to check email and when I got my laptop back in 15 min I found hairpin, bank card and fake nail in the iBook.

The cat hair and claws are my cats, caramel is from my caramel macchiatto's , the contact lens was mine I looked for the damn thing for 3o min found it much later.

The maggots were part of an experiment that ended up on the keyboard by accident

Confetti and tinsel was Xmas party on the 15" PB as were the nail polish flecks

Office supplies is on the work machine.

But I have no idea where the gummy bear and tine screws came from on my home desktop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.