Weird Time Capsule glitch with AirPort Utility + USB hub

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by palebluedot, Jun 26, 2017.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I am having a strange issue with my 4th gen TC. It has always worked well with a powered USB hub plugged into it with several external drives plugged into the USB hub.

Recently I noticed my time machine quit backing up, only to discover that the Time Capsule couldnt be accessed over the network via Finder or AirPort utility. When I unplugged the USB cable to the hub from the Time Capsule, I was then able to acccess both the internal HDD and the TC on AirPort Utility.

Rebotting does nothing if the USB is plugged in. As soon as it is removed, after about 2 min, the TC works fine again. The light is green when the USB is plugged in, unless I reboot the TC, then the light is yellow and no wifi until I remove the USB from the TC.

I have searched all over the net and cannot figure out why the USB is impacting my ability to access the TC via AirPort Utility to modify settings or access it via Finder.

It is no longer under AppleCare warranty given it's age. Any help is appreciated!

tl;dr TC does not allow access to AirPort Utility settings or Finder when USB hub with drives is plugged in, although it used to work fine. If rebooted with USB in, light stays yellow and wont boot until USB is unplugged.

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

What other troubleshooting have you performed?

I'd try each USB device individually. If each device works fine by itself, you probably need a new hub (or cable between TC and hub). If all but one device works, plug all working devices into the hub and plug that back into TC and see if that solves it.