Weird Time Machine behavior

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Fontane, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

Was using a 2012 rMBP but just upgraded to the late-2013 rMBP.

I restored from a Time Machine backup and everything went perfectly.

Eventually, I ejected Time Machine after my first session with the computer, but had not done a backup with the new laptop yet.

When I plug back in the drive with Time Machine, the icon is orange instead of green and the backup is moving at an insanely slow pace.

I tried ejecting, rebooting, but nothing changes.

Edited to add: I notice that while it's backing up, my time machine icon in the bar isn't animated like it used to be (little arrow spinning in a circle indicating a backup is occurring).
    Should I just wait it out and let the backup complete to see if the icon changes back and the normal speed resumes? Is this an issue for anyone else?

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Wait it out, a lot happens when upgrading.

3. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

ssls6 is spot on. The initial backup will likely take a while.

And yeah, they changed the Time Machine icon so it's no longer animated. Wondering if MacPilot or TinkerTool may be able to find a way to tweak that option, it was definitely nice to see the animation out of the corner of my eye and know it was backing up.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yeah things did change in Mavericks. Using an NAS for time machine backups, the external drive does not show on the desktop when time machine is running. Hopefully Apple will provide an option to show it. (and YES I do have external drives checked in Finder prefs.)