Weird Time Machine problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jshelton, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

When I activate Time Machine everything works fine. Last night I noticed that the "Restore" and "Cancel" buttons on the right and left sides of the screen aren't there. I can click where they should be and it either restores or cancels; I just can't see them. What happened?

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Never heard of that.
    Can you give us a Screen Shot with Grab?

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will do that when I get home. Like I said, I can actually click either "Restore" or "Cancel", the actual text just isn't there. Who knows...

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Never heard of that.
    I'll try researching a little for you.

5. fallacies macrumors newbie

6. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everything on the screen shot looks normal. Are you wondering why the Spotlight bar is not showing up? How do you generally search in TM?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

See the little grey unmarked button at the top right of the "Desktop" window you showed? Exit Time Machine first, then press that button and your toolbar (including the search) will reappear. You have minimized your toolbar on that window.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

TM retains the view of the Finder window that you are using in OS X. I can only guess that you're asking why you can't see the Spotlight search bar. Open up a Finder window and click the button on the top right side to expand and show the navigation buttons and search entry. Then when you start TM again it will also appear there. TM won't allow you to minimize or expand the windows from within TM.

Edit: I didn't see sickmacdoc's post until after I saved this one. ;)

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That's because yours explains it much better than my quick one did- takes longer to type complete answers! :D

10. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Sorry to further hijack this thread, but:
    In the Screenshot, his Cancel button is highlighted but not his Restore button, along the bottom. Mine is the same way. Is this normal if you haven't selected anything to restore?
    Morod

11. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I got a screen shot. I wasn't able to use "Grab" once Time Machine was activated. I am sure there is a way, but I don't know how. At any rate, I attached the screen shot. See how the Restore and Cancel text isn't visible? What is causing that?

Thanks

Attached Files:

12. fallacies macrumors newbie

The expand button doesn't work for me. In the past (I don't know when it stopped working), I would just have to activate TM from my dock & a window showing my desktop would pop up, complete with a search bar. Like this. Now it looks like this (images found on GIS).

I can do the click-on-Finder-then-click-on-TM thing, but I'd like to just keep doing what I've been doing. I don't know why it would have stopped working like usual.

Do they show up when you go back in time?

13. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually tried that first thing. They still don't show up. :confused: