Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Here's what you need:

Attachments

• 180px-Tinfoilhat.jpg
    180px-Tinfoilhat.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,645

wolps

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Hey am I the only one or have you guys ever noticed a tingly feeling in your hand/hands while using the iphone to browse the net? This is one of the main reasons that I'm getting a case.

I know it heats up, but I'm talking about more than just the heat.

The touch screen is capacitance based, you may be feeling a tiny, tiny bit of electric charge / current.

I've felt it too, and I thought it was from strain.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Ok I won't bother reinforcing my point because you all think I'm nuts :D

That foil helmet with the spikes looks pretty slick

CorTeX

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
France
I have found this theard while looking for this in google. I got an iPhone 3G and I feel EXCATLY the same things as you, all the time. If you are nuts, Iam nuts aswell. I'm worry and it burn my skin a little (i have a very sensible white skin) *sucks*.
I hope it's not something dangerous, do you think I can have another iPhone ? What can I do please ? :(

wickwood

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
New to iPhone, feel the tingle too

I just got a 3GS iPhone and have felt a tingle in the hand I use to hold it ever since I started using it. It is a very real and disconcerting feeling, which is why started searching for info about it.

At least now I know I'm not the only one.

Now I just have to find a forum that is not filled with a bunch of immature jerks!

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Hey am I the only one or have you guys ever noticed a tingly feeling in your hand/hands while using the iphone to browse the net? This is one of the main reasons that I'm getting a case.

I know it heats up, but I'm talking about more than just the heat.

Posts like this one is exactly why I try to browse this forum at least once a day.

:D

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Mod note

The off-topic posts here have been very funny and the OP doesn't seem to mind them, so I've let them stay.

But please try to address the issue, since some of the posters here insist they've experienced the problem, and would like constructive comments. :) Otherwise there's a danger the thread will be closed...

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
It's not a shock feeling, its sort of a burning sensation in my HAND :p not anywhere else on my body lol.

It's very strange, and only happens after prolonged use, maybe 20 mins of browsing or something.

Sounds like you're just describing the heat of the battery, which is fairly natural.

Does it actually burn you, or is it just a warm touch?

simonparis

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2009
hand and head

I'm definitely getting a tingling in my hand and in my head when I use my iPhone. Are any of you guys getting a vibration / tingling in your head? - I know that's gonna make some of you laugh, but it's true. When I'm not using the phone it goes away.

snelopy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
Hi, yes I do get tingling in my hand and around my head. I get the same sensation from capacitive monitors and laptop touchpads. The charge that's sent out from the screen interacts with the nervous system of the body and the sensation around your head is the brain registering it. This is just not natural in my opinion and personally I don't think it can be very good for your health. In my own experience of using laptop touchpads I actually start developing nausea after prolonged use. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others - I can't go near volt boxes either without feeling very sick. I wish more research was done into how these devices actually influence our health.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Hi, yes I do get tingling in my hand and around my head. I get the same sensation from capacitive monitors and laptop touchpads. The charge that's sent out from the screen interacts with the nervous system of the body and the sensation around your head is the brain registering it. This is just not natural in my opinion and personally I don't think it can be very good for your health. In my own experience of using laptop touchpads I actually start developing nausea after prolonged use. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others - I can't go near volt boxes either without feeling very sick. I wish more research was done into how these devices actually influence our health.

Perhaps it's all in your head?

Since it's just you and a few other people that think all the reputable research is invalid and only the "research" from people trying to sell products to prevent this supposed "interaction" is valid, don't use the phone. Period. And don't use computers for that matter. Problem solved, no?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
OP - I am not a medical doctor so I assume no liability, but I am a neurophysiologist. The tingling almost certainly results from over-activation of a nerve. The most mundane culprit is some sort of trapped nerve, perhaps due to an awkward posture of your arm or upper spine. When pressure is put on a nerve, it becomes electrically active, and you brain interprets this as a sensation. There are also other potential causes, so if the tingling persists for a long time, generalizes to other situations, or becomes uncomfortable you should see your physician. The same holds true if you have any other symptoms.

For what it is worth, I also experienced what you described and it was minor mischief from a trapped nerve. Physiotherapy sorted it out. If it were truly the phone - which I rather doubt - the tingling would swap sides if you used your other hand to make calls.

EDIT: Have you considered using a headphone/mic?

VatoLoco

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
OP - I am not a medical doctor so I assume no liability, but I am a neurophysiologist. The tingling almost certainly results from over-activation of a nerve. The most mundane culprit is some sort of trapped nerve, perhaps due to an awkward posture of your arm or upper spine. When pressure is put on a nerve, it becomes electrically active, and you brain interprets this as a sensation. There are also other potential causes, so if the tingling persists for a long time, generalizes to other situations, or becomes uncomfortable you should see your physician. The same holds true if you have any other symptoms.

For what it is worth, I also experienced what you described and it was minor mischief from a trapped nerve. Physiotherapy sorted it out. If it were truly the phone - which I rather doubt - the tingling would swap sides if you used your other hand to make calls.

EDIT: Have you considered using a headphone/mic?

I just started getting pins and needles in my hands that wont go away now..

I started playing a game on Iphone called Inotia2. You play holding phone sideways, And i hold phone like I'm holding a xbox controller.

After long play sessions my fingers started going numb, I ignored and shook it off. After few days of playing this game the pins and needles started and wont go away now..

I'm thinking it's from having bent elbows and touching screen in certain positions which stops blood flow to finger tips..

So i have stopped playing game now hoping this feeling goes away since i had a bad night of sleep and pins and needles still with me 12 hours on

Anyway back to massaging my fingers

Godchild1124

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
F1400 is not CRAZY or LYING

Ive had my precious iPhone4 now for 2 weeks and I thought it was me just getting old, but the dam thing was emitting small shocks thru my finger tips, I can barely hold the thing for more than 20mins without taking a break to let my finger recoup!! Ive been the phone with Apple for about 2hrs and they told me to come to the nearest retail store so they can swamp me out for a new iPhone4. So all you nuckleheads who joked on F1400, he was telling the truth!!!

Secretsme

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Pins and needles ruining joy of iPhone 4!!!

I get pins and needles in the tips of my fingers when using the phone, worse particularly when surfing the net. Gets worse as I continue using and eventually disappears when I put phone down. Made me concerned enough to google the problem and see if their was a known issue with the phone. At first I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome (I'm a doctor)- but noticed it's only when using phone (no matter how I hold it), and I had no problems with 3GS. I think this is a very real concern- can't even use my phone for long period without regular brakes as the pins and needles become unbearable!

SUPERNET

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
I get that feeling too. It's hard to describe. It's a tingly, electric feeling, almost like static electricity or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.