iPad mini Weird tingling sensation while using riPad mini (faulty?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shadowjeff, Nov 14, 2013.

1. shadowjeff macrumors regular

I just got the new retina iPad mini yesterday and so far i'm liking it. But somehow whenever i use my mini for a few mins or so i'll start feeling a weird tingling sensation from the back of the mini. Not entirely sure how to explain it, but it feel likes very mild static on the back of the iPad mini. I was using it for about 1/2 hour, and my hands actually felt numb from it and find it unusable for long sessions (I'm 100% sure its not because of the weight).

I've googled for similar experiences and people who felt it on their iPads (mostly iPad 2-4) usually only feel it when they are charging the iPad. My iPad mini was not charging.

So i'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem with their retina mini? I'll be bringing it in to the apple store tomorrow to get it checked, only thing is i have no idea how to explain it to the geniuses.

2. betabeta macrumors 6502a

What you are experiencing is your body absorbing energy, I would give it about a month and you will become a Super Hero!

or...well you don't want to know the or:D

J/K:D

Seems like your feeling the same thing others feel but only when charging... if I lightly go over the bottom back near the connector while charging I feel it.

3. kalt macrumors regular

the new mini has a human organochemical-powered supplemental battery. It drains chemical energy from the glucose in your hands and provides 30% of the power, along with the regular battery. Tingling is normal, that's just the glucose ions crossing the semipermeable osmotic membrane from your hands to the ipad.

4. syd430 Guest

This.

It's important to keep dietary fibre up and have a constant intake of simple sugars, poly-phenolic flavonoids and vitamin C while operating the rMini in order to extend battery life. My rMini actually came with a mango right out of the box.

5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Is this a tingle you have up your leg whenever you see Barack Obama? :D

6. betabeta macrumors 6502a

All seriousness, have you asked another family member or friend to try it? Do you have this issue with other iPads if you have them?

If someone else can feel it you will know it's faulty, go right back to Apple. If they don't, and you still do, then you are faulty:D, or on you are on way to being a Super Hero like I said.

Even if someone else can't feel it, I think I would want it exchanged, anything to do with electricity you just don't want to mess with, maybe you are very sensitive to a problem others are not.

And I would NOT charge it overnight if I felt that, I would want to be up when it was charging in case it is something serious with the connection maybe.

Let us know what happens, good luck:)

7. shadowjeff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. I got a friend to try it and he says he feels a little of the static but he's very unsure about it, probably influenced by what i said. But yea it's weird i've never experienced this on my iPhone 5 and macbook air or my old iPad mini.

Reading these comments actually gave me false hope that i might be a mutant....

8. shadowjeff thread starter macrumors regular

It's also more apparent when i turn up the brightness to maximum

9. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Well that would take more power draw from the battery, and if your friend slightly felt it, I think I might exchange it, especially if you can't use it for long periods of time.

No matter what you do, I would not want to charge it while sleeping if it was me.

Also I found more than just you experiencing the same thing (fell it while it's not charging). I also found this below, that Apple said about the issue (the one while it's plugged in)

:apple:There is measurable AC voltage across the external metal parts when an iPad charges. The measured voltage is within the SELV (Separated Extra-Low Voltage) limit, which means that the iPad is safe to touch. Additionally, the touch current is within the safety limit according to UL/IEC 60950 (Safety of Information Technology Equipment).:apple:

Sounds to me like your iPad "may" have battery issues, maybe it's not connected completely right? maybe it's damaged? and with these things being so tightly packed, who knows whats going on.

I don;t like to take chances with electricity, and where I wouldn't be too worried about holding it, but if it is damaged, or it short circuits, it could be a serious issue when charging.

10. shadowjeff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advice man! Really appreciate it! :) Heading to the apple store tomorrow.