Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I am working with support on this and they said they find no issue in the software logs or hardware tests. Please watch my video to understand the issue.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
It acts as if you are pressing the key to shutdown the computer. Can't reproduce in mine
It works fine when I press normally for half a second. It happens it when it goes into sleep and wait for 10 mins or so. Requires two clicks on touch id. Having said that, my understanding is that touch id should never show you that prompt for shutdown.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
It works fine when I press normally for half a second. It happens it when it goes into sleep and wait for 10 mins or so. Requires two clicks on touch id. Having said that, my understanding is that touch id should never show you that prompt for shutdown.
Nope, it doesn't occur with mine. I can't even enable the shutdown menu with onyx. Maybe some residual configuration that you transferred from another Mac with Migration assistant or is it your first Mac?

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Nope, it doesn't occur with mine. I can't even enable the shutdown menu with onyx. Maybe some residual configuration that you transferred from another Mac with Migration assistant or is it your first Mac?
I cleaned up the whole mac twice and even apple store did that. I was able to reproduce again and they said as the last option they can replace the touch id button.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
It never hurts to ask for a replacement, especially with a secure biometric.

I would send in and let them repair. Make sure you get proof of mailing etc.
Thanks Robert. They agreed to repair touch id button. I am not sure if they would screw up the hardware if this happens to be software bug in new M1 Pro.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks Robert. They agreed to repair touch id button. I am not sure if they would screw up the hardware if this happens to be software bug in new M1 Pro.
I'm having this too suddenly after reinstalling my Mac, while it didn't do it before. Before reinstalling I had the problem that pressing the TouchID button would wake my make and immediately put it back to sleep again. So this definitely seems like a software issue.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I'm having this too suddenly after reinstalling my Mac, while it didn't do it before. Before reinstalling I had the problem that pressing the TouchID button would wake my make and immediately put it back to sleep again. So this definitely seems like a software issue.
Hope its a software issue.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
can you avert the id sign in?
I am thinking about get the Pro over the Air.
thanks!
(I did not watch the video-i advert utube)

TJET

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
I have the exact same issue - had it from new on my 1st M1 MacBook Pro; I raised a support call with & went through various painless and painful diagnosis steps - pretty much the whole book / everything with Apple which included a total system wipe & re-install. It still did it so Apple replaced the machine.

I had to wait months for the replacement Mac & when the new one finally arrived, shortly after, the new one did the exact same thing. I was and remain gutted for all of the hassle I went though (& time without my machine) needlessly. As I write this, I am on the phone to Apple Support raising another call, citing the original support call which resulted in a replacement system exchange. I have used this link to illustrate that I am not the only M1 MacBook Pro user experiencing this problem (nor is it new to me). At the time (Oct lat year) I could not find any other users on the Web that had reported this - so it is somewhat comforting that someone else is seeing the issue as well! ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wow I hope this issue gets fixed soon. That would get old fast. No issue here on my M1 MBP. :(

Is the Touch ID button loose? Mine is fairly solid - I can't get it to move at all.

To replace the Touch ID button, don't they have to do a top end case replacement? I thought this keyboard was basically part of the top case? (So new battery, right?)

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I am working with support on this and they said they find no issue in the software logs or hardware tests. Please watch my video to understand the issue.

Seems like a software issue. I had that previously and now it is working as it is supposed to. I've changed nothing, not even the version of macOS Big Sur. I saw this problem since the last update to 11.4.

One thought. Do you have your require password set to a longer than average after display sleep? I have it set at 15 minutes which is definitely not the default which is either immediately or a few seconds. While in either case it is currently working for me, I did have it set to 15 minutes when I experienced the problem of the extraneous shutdown dialog.

Another thing, you can hit the esc key and the dialog cancels immediately.

Edit: You are right, now I don't see the shutdown dialog when I press the power key when logged in. I get logged out and sent to the login page. I have no idea how to get the shutdown dialog again. So weird.

Edit2: You can set the finger print sensor to enable fast user switching. I was just playing around with it and the thought occurred to me that trying it out might force the touchID to revert to its intended behavior. You can set it in System Preferences->Touch ID and then create another user in System Preferences->Users & Groups. Now when you press the power/Touch ID button, you should be logged out and you should see Switch User in the login page. Login to the new user and configure a different finger to log in that user. I had to switch users a few times for this work reliably but it is really quick when it starts to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenkaykev

TJET

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
I've had the issue throughout all versions of Big Sur (including the current / latest, whilst I was installing when I spoke too the Apple agent). Incidentally, I asked them to set a call back so I could progress the incident for 10:15Hrs on 29/05/21 - and Apple didn't call back. I assumed that perhaps they thought I meant 22:15Hrs but they didn't call then either - so my assumption now is that they're stumped.

In Security & Privacy; I have 5 mins set for require password after sleep; I don't think I've ever changed this. If you have this set to greater (15mins) & have stopped seeing manifestation of the problem, then it could be that the trigger for .. let's call it a bug, is not met as the device is awoken before that period elapses, in most scenarios when awoken?

Interesting issue.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I've had the issue throughout all versions of Big Sur (including the current / latest, whilst I was installing when I spoke too the Apple agent). Incidentally, I asked them to set a call back so I could progress the incident for 10:15Hrs on 29/05/21 - and Apple didn't call back. I assumed that perhaps they thought I meant 22:15Hrs but they didn't call then either - so my assumption now is that they're stumped.

In Security & Privacy; I have 5 mins set for require password after sleep; I don't think I've ever changed this. If you have this set to greater (15mins) & have stopped seeing manifestation of the problem, then it could be that the trigger for .. let's call it a bug, is not met as the device is awoken before that period elapses, in most scenarios when awoken?

Interesting issue.
It might be a trigger but now I’ve experimented with setting it to immediate to see if that changes anything. It didn’t. Everything continued working as expected. I set it back to 15 minutes and then to 5 minutes. Everything continues to work.

I have it set to 5 minutes right now. If the problem returns I’ll update this.

TJET

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
Thank you for the posts above... I continue to have the issue here. I think using it on battery (only) may have a bearing on this?

I had a "call-back" set-up with Apple Support for 29th May as I say above; they didn't call & well I didn't have time to chase it until today so I am on the phone to them now. It is a minor issue to be fair but annoying nonetheless. I'll post here if they come up with anything.

TJET

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
Is anyone having this on battery only or on the power adapter too? Thanks.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thank you for the posts above... I continue to have the issue here. I think using it on battery (only) may have a bearing on this?

I had a "call-back" set-up with Apple Support for 29th May as I say above; they didn't call & well I didn't have time to chase it until today so I am on the phone to them now. It is a minor issue to be fair but annoying nonetheless. I'll post here if they come up with anything.
I have never had a problem using Touch ID while on battery. If you are, that isn't normal. You may have a hardware problem.

TJET

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
The hardware has been replaced (as I explain above), still same, o/s rebuilt, still same, no backup used to restore etc etc. Apple presume it's a software fault which I would agree with but they have not diagnosed it.

I can't say I ever recalled it exhibiting the problem whilst on mains rather than battery - hence my question but thanks for your comment.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The hardware has been replaced (as I explain above), still same, o/s rebuilt, still same, no backup used to restore etc etc. Apple presume it's a software fault which I would agree with but they have not diagnosed it.

I can't say I ever recalled it exhibiting the problem whilst on mains rather than battery - hence my question but thanks for your comment.
It is also possible the replacement hardware is bad, although the likelihood of that is very slim. Sorry I missed that pertinent part of your earlier post. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution one way or another.

TJET

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
Yes, you're absolutely right, it could just be that I was unlucky and got a 2nd MacBook Pro with the same hardware defect as the 1st; after all, mine was of the 1st produced & the second was probably of the same build (I doubt they'd have changed the designs by then & I suspect lots of people who experience new this with those earlier machines either don't notice or put up with it if they do.

I would like to experiment with a new machine to test that theory but I don't have the option unless I buy another, and do the testing within the return window. my issue there would be that if the new one proved perfect - I would have to convince Apple to refund the existing on to make it equivalent to a replacement, something I don't think they would entertain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.