Weird track pad problem on MBP 13inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LewisB, Oct 13, 2009.

1. LewisB macrumors member

Basically, I have it set up to tap and hold so I can drag things and then release my finger when I want to stop. Well, if I go to the side of screen and drag the scroll down/up and then move the mouse away, I have to wait about a second for it to not scroll the page if I move the mouse. Surely it should be instant?

Also, if I go to drag something of the dock it take about 1 second for it to move?

Is this right?

2. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

Just seen on another forum, someone posted this:

"I bought SL yesterday and put it on iMac and MacBookPro. Nearly everything is at a crawl.
    This is oppose from what I expected. Ex. I drag a picture from the desktop to the trash. The trash can appears from the hidden dock and remains visible for three seconds. After that time I hear a click of the picture going in the trash. This used to be instantaneous. Trying to move a window around the screen doesn't happen immediately. I have to wait until the window becomes "moveable." This is a mess. "

Basically, mine is doing that when I drag, say, iPhoto from the dock to the desktop to delete it. It takes a couple of seconds to move and then delete. my iMac would instant. Is there a problem?

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Have a little patience man!

Sounds like you're describing two problems. The first one is that there is a little delay between when you release your finger from the drag and it actually stopping the drag. I presume so that if you need to lift and reposition your finger mid-drag, you don't have to re tap-and-hold. If it stopped dragging the instant you lifted your finger you could only drag so far at a time (depending on your sensitivity settings) or for example selecting blocks of text would be a pain too because you'd have to get it all in one "sweep" instead of being able to go in multiple passes.

The second, seems totally unrelated and I don't know what causes it. Probably some runaway process eating all the CPU time causing things to start to lag out.

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I hate the uMBP trackpad. Here's why- assume for a minute that the touchpad doesn't have a physical click when you press it (like the iphone), so the only way to click or drag is to tap. That means you have to have to use tap-to-drag. The problem with tap-to-drag is that it adds a slight delay to tap-to-click; it is short but noticeable if you compare it to tap-to-drag disabled or the physical button. Tap-to-drag also has a delay when you want to release, in case you need to move your finger or you take your finger off slightly, which becomes a problem if you actually want to release what you are dragging (the first problem the OP described).

Obviously, it sounds like it is best to just disable tap-to-drag. The problem is, dragging with the physical button is frustrating. Trying to do it with 1 finger is hard because of the amount of pressure it takes to keep the button from releasing (I think there is an adjustment, but it is too stiff by default and not really user-adjustable). Also, the button doesn't really click near the top. Trying to use two fingers (the way you would if the touchpad had a real button) doesn't work well either because sometimes it forgets you are dragging and thinks you want to start scrolling or something.

Having a little patience shouldn't be necessary. What if you have to drag-and-drop a large number of objects individually? Why should you have to wait after each one when we have the technology to do drag-and-drop with no release delay? Why should every tap be delayed slightly for click-to-drag (assuming there is no software fix) when a physical button for dragging and tap-to-click works better? It's frustrating, and if Apple keeps making dumb design changes (no expresscard, glassy screen (ok, they fixed that one), no eSATA, no button touchpad), I would not buy a new MBP as my primary computer.
    /rant