Weird unique problem playing one DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by electric-emu, Dec 18, 2012.

1. electric-emu, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012

electric-emu macrumors newbie

I own a 15" mid 2009 MacBook Pro and I have a unique problem that I can't find any answers to. The DVD player on the mac won't play ONE of my DVDs. All of my other DVDs work fine on it except this one. Every time I put it in the drive, the drive won't even read it; it would just make this a series of weird noises that I could only describe as a hybridization of a beep and a buzz; and without hearing the disc spin, the drive would just spit out the disc. At first I thought it was a problem with the disc but it works fine on my DVD player in my TV and my Xbox. Ever had a little annoying that drives you crazy, this is mine. Oh, if it helps out, the DVD is "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" from the Star Wars Original Trilogy Box Set. Please Help.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I wouldn't wanna play Star Wars either if I was a DVD player, I dont blame it.

Anywho, this is very odd. Does it read it or recognize the DVD exists in the drive and wont play it, or does it not even recognize it in the DVD Player?

3. trikky macrumors regular

Probably something to do with the codec or something related with the disc itself. If the firmware is updated on your player, I wouldn't worry about it and although it's annoying, there's nothing that can be done. This is not the crazy annoying thing you are looking for.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Depends on which you're talking about - I-III definitly agree, IV-VI where Han shoots first I'm not so sure I can. Unfortunelty I don't have the tech to play my beta-max of Episode IV... The only things I can think of are:

Scratched disc
    wrong region
    Are you sure it's not a VHS? I wasn't aware that the original trilogy was on DVD.