Weird username when I try to download apps from apps store?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dazloe, Dec 19, 2008.

1. dazloe macrumors member

Hey there ladies and gents, I just bought a 16gb ipod touch! (my first ipod :)

I've put movies music and photos on fine, but when I go to the app store and find a free app: I click 'install' and a screen comes up saying 'itunes password' and then joe.muecke@uts.edu.au and I have no idea what that means. I don't know who 'joe muecke' is or his passsword for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. bstreiff macrumors regular

Did you buy it used or new?

You need an iTunes Music Store account to download apps-- the iPhone remembers the account that iTunes on the desktop was connected to. In this case, it seems that it was sync'd to Joe's computer, whoever he is.

You might also want to look in iTunes on your computer, under the 'Store' menu, to see what it says (at least on OS X, there's a 'View My Account (xxx@yyy.zzz)' entry) to make sure you're the one logged in.

3. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

oh right that could make sense...I did it on a public computer. if I do a restore on my own computer will I be able to change the username? or can I change it through the ipod touch without restoring it? cheers.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Sign into your iTunes account on your own computer and sync. Should fix it, no restore needed.

5. pkagel macrumors regular

That happens to me every time I update my Touch on somebody elses computer. Since I'm about 1500 miles from my own computer right now I just reset the Touch in the settings and it fixes it but then I have to reorganize all my apps again. It's a real pain but whaddya gonna do.