Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
So I've got an iPhone 3G running 2.2 and it's jailbroken. I recently ran into a problem while trying to stream video through Safari. Usually I can play a video through Safari as long as it's compatible (i.e. not Flash). But recently I tried playing the same type of video that used to work, and now instead it shows two buttons, either watch or download. Both give me errors like the video is not compatible and won't play. I think it's very likely because I installed some third party app, but I've uninstalled anything I thought it could be, but I still have the same problem. Any ideas how to fix this? Maybe an app I'm missing to uninstall?

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
So I've got an iPhone 3G running 2.2 and it's jailbroken. I recently ran into a problem while trying to stream video through Safari. Usually I can play a video through Safari as long as it's compatible (i.e. not Flash). But recently I tried playing the same type of video that used to work, and now instead it shows two buttons, either watch or download. Both give me errors like the video is not compatible and won't play. I think it's very likely because I installed some third party app, but I've uninstalled anything I thought it could be, but I still have the same problem. Any ideas how to fix this? Maybe an app I'm missing to uninstall?

You have the Safari Download Plugin installed (did you perhaps install dTunes?). You can either uninstall this plugin using Cydia or disable the plugin with BossPrefs.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
You have the Safari Download Plugin installed (did you perhaps install dTunes?). You can either uninstall this plugin using Cydia or disable the plugin with BossPrefs.

Well that's the thing. I thought that's what it could have been. So I uninstalled dtunes and the safari plug in already and it still won't go away, even after reboot.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Well that's the thing. I thought that's what it could have been. So I uninstalled dtunes and the safari plug in already and it still won't go away, even after reboot.

If you can access your phone's file system, check out /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and see if there's a folder called "File Download Plugin.webplugin" - if there is then I think it's still installed.

Another thing I would try is re-installing the plugin through Cydia and then uninstalling it, power-cycling each time.

Yet another thing I would try is installing Boss Prefs as well as the SafariDL addon and try toggling that.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
If you can access your phone's file system, check out /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and see if there's a folder called "File Download Plugin.webplugin" - if there is then I think it's still installed.

Another thing I would try is re-installing the plugin through Cydia and then uninstalling it, power-cycling each time.

Yet another thing I would try is installing Boss Prefs as well as the SafariDL addon and try toggling that.

That seems to have got it. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.