Weird Vista/OS X issue when using Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jlwillia, Nov 19, 2008.

1. jlwillia macrumors regular

I have recently installed a version of Vista on my Macbook to use an online test-taking software that my university insists on using. Everything seems to work well. I set the default partition to OS X and can easily get into Vista if I need to (which fortunately isn't very often).

However, today I noticed an issue that is annoying. When I open Vista, the time is off by about 6 hours. It's set to Central time (where I live) and everything seems fine, but is just off by 6 hours. I didn't think anything of it, so I changed the clock to the correct time.

Then when I was finished using Windows, I restarted back into OS X and everything seemed flawless. Everything was working exactly as I left it. However, after a few minutes I noticed the clock in OS X was off by exactly the same amount I had to change it in Windows.

How could this be? I thought that by partitioning my hard drive I was unable to access the portion I am not currently using. For example, I can't save a file to the Window portion of my hard drive when using OS X. Likewise, I can't access Word files, photos, or anything on my OS X portion of my hard drive when using Windows.

How is it that when I change the time in Windows it changes it in OS X? And why are they different? Not this is a huge problem, but just a pain in the a**, and a little discomforting. Any help would be comforting...

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I had this problem as well.

This isn't a real fix, but it's a workaround (and bear with me, I'm out of town and away from my Mac, so I'm going from memory) - in OS X, under System Preferences, under Time, you can check a box that allows your computer to get the time from a website. You'll still have time hiccups every so often, but they correct themselves.

3. jlwillia thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else experience this? Know how to fix it?

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

I remember I solved my clock issue (damn thing would never change time, it would always be 12:00) by resetting my PRAM
    ALT+OPT+P+R when booting up untill you hear the startup gong a second time

5. jlwillia thread starter macrumors regular

update

Thanks for the help guys. Here's what I've figured out...

Upon investigating tomorrow's advice, I set my clock preferences in OS X to "set date and time automatically" which syncs with time.apple.com.

Then I went into Windows to see if this fixes the problem. I immediately notice the Windows time is off again. So I went into the Windows clock preference and noticed a similiar option to automatically sync the date and time (which syncs with time.windows.com). I clicked this option. I restarted back in OS X and my clock is correct. So that may have fixed the problem.

However, there is another issue I have run into. My internet connection at work requires that the IT department register my MAC address so that I can connect. Without doing so I am unable to access the internet. The problem is this - when in Windows I cannot connect to the internet, but in OS X I can. My MAC address is already registered with the IT department so it shouldn't matter if I'm using Windows or OS X should it?

btw, I like your signature Cerebrus' Maw! It's a bulls*it three ring circus sideshow of freaks....

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A MAC address is tied to hardware, that's right. The root of the problem lies elsewhere.

7. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Thank you! I find it more appropriate everyday :mad:

Regards your new issue, on vista, goto:
    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System information

Goto the Components Tab, and under Network, select Adapter. See what your MAC address is....

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

The times are different because Windows stores your local time in the BIOS while OS X stores the GMT and then adds the time offset of your timezone to it.

9. Catch Them macrumors regular

Correct.

also once detected over a network it will auto apply the correct time from that server as well.

this is normal with this due to the nature of the storing of the local times.

10. Keleko macrumors 68000

If you just need Windows for IE, have you tried using a virtual machine install of Vista? You can get Virtual Box from Sun for free. It may not work with a Bootcamp install, but if you don't need to boot to Vista directly for anything, then a pure virtual Vista install will probably work much better for you all around. You won't have the time problems (it happens in XP, too), and it will share your OSX network connection.

11. jlwillia thread starter macrumors regular

I wish this were the case. I need Windows to install and run a specific test-taking software. My network connection works in Windows at school and at home, but not at work. Guess I'll have to take it up with the IT department at work...