Weird Wallpaper Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by listylister, Jun 24, 2008.

1. listylister macrumors newbie

Hi There,

Had my mac book about 3-4 months now and so far it has been great. However i just hooked an external monitor up to it and experienced a very strange problem:

- My wallpaper changes every 2-3 seconds to a different wallpaper. I have checked in "Desktop and Screensaver" settings and the "Change Picture" is NOT checked on both monitors.

I called apple support about this problem and they were frankly - useless. They made me verify there was no problems on the disk - no idea why. And then he put me hold for about half an hour then disconnected me - very annoyed!

My OSX version is: 10.5.3

I am not using mirroring. It is an extended desktop. I have tried rebooting but it is still no better.

I just hope someone here has an answer to this because it really is very annoying and is making me loose confidence in OSX.

Thanks in advance.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

That is indeed odd, I know you said that you checked the screen properties but did you check them on the monitor that is changing (as in move mouse to that monitor and right click)? I can't really see any other way that you'd experience this problem.

3. listylister thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes tried this also.

I think it may be a bug in the software. Is there any standard procedure for reporting bugs to apple because I can't seem to find any.

Thanks

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You can provide product feedback here, hope it helps. I use this setup quite a bit and have never had a randomly changing background (doesn't mean much really) and have never experienced it myself or heard of anyone else having the problem. Maybe it is your monitor trying to decide what looks best on it. :D

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Go back into the settings and check the box so that the wallpaper changes every minute on both monitors. Now, does the wallpaper change every minute, as it was told to, or does it still change every 2-3 seconds?

If it changes every minute, go into the settings and uncheck the box on both monitors. Let us know if that helps.

Also, did you recently install an app that may play around with the background?

6. listylister thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem seems to of resolved itself as long as i don't plug the monitor in whilst os x is running. I have reported the bug to apple anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

Kind Regards