Weird weird Magsafe Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atad6, Aug 26, 2010.

1. atad6 macrumors regular

I've looked all over the internet for answers to this problem and haven't been able to find a solution.

I have a 2006 core duo 17" macbook pro, out of warranty.

Recently the magsafe adapter stopped working, I assumed it was because the magsafe adapter started to fray (nothing new as I've gone through two already).

Took it to the apple store and bought a new one (with L connector) since they wouldn't replace it outside warranty.

Came back, still wouldn't charge/recognize the magsafe until I realized that the magsafe would only be recognized if plugged in while computer was off or asleep and then turned on.

If the computer is on, and running on battery power and then I plug it in, the magsafe will not light up and not be recognized by the os.

I looked it up, couldn't find any specific information but found information about resetting the pmu and smc. I've tried this multiple times, 5 seconds, 50 seconds, etc. Every combination and it doesn't fix the problem.

It's not a huge issue, I just have to make sure the macbook is asleep or off before i plug it in.

I even tried reinstalling snow leopard.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to keep the machine alive and it's working despite the inconvenience mentioned above. My question(s), is there any way to fix this? if not, is this a dangerous problem.

It could be the battery I suppose. It's at 369 cycles but still holds a charge (90%), and appears as normal under system profiler.

I honestly have no clue.

2. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

The only thing I could think of would be the actual magnetic connection of the magsafe on the macbook pro. However that would not explain why it only charges when asleep.

3. atad6 thread starter macrumors regular

It recognizes as being plugged in by both the light on the adapter and the os as long as I plug it in while it is off or asleep first. It makes no sense.

4. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

Very weird bro. You could always ask someone at the apple store (if they even answer you knowing you don't have any applecare).

5. atad6 thread starter macrumors regular

Been done, with the suggested reset of the smc. Then suggested a hardware replacement which I'm not spending money on a machine this old. I just have two questions.

Most importantly, is it something i should consider dangerous? (despite the minor inconvenience). I had the battery replaced before, and the current one isn't bulging or anything weird.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've seen a few threads on various forums about this, but nobody seems to have been able to find an answer.

6. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

I don't think it's dangerous. But unfortunately I have no solution. Sorry! =/