Weird Whining Noise from MacBook Late 2008 Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HIMAN1998, Nov 21, 2013.

1. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

My late 2008 MacBook has been making a weird clicking noise from the fan (checked to see if it was the hard drive, it's definitely the fan. Yesterday when I was moving the laptop to set it on a table the fans started making a weird whining noise when I set the laptop down. I will get a video of it next time it happens and post a link. Today in class it happened and the only way to stop it was to either shut it off or put it into sleep mode. Since the Mavericks update the laptop has taken about 30 seconds to a minute to completely go into sleep mode. Should I get a replacement fan or is there a way to fix it? I tried an SMC reset and that didn't help.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

As previously stated, just replace it. They're about five bucks on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Eathtek-Cooling-MacBook-Aluminum-Unibody/dp/B005VVLYHG

I haven't had to replace mine, but I took it out at one point when I pulled the logic board out. And I've replaced ones on a 2007 MPB. Might take 10 mins.

Once I thought I would have to replace it, but it ends up I just had a small pice of debris in it. One thing to note though, the screws are very easy to strip, so be careful and use the right screwdriver :cool:

4. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

The soonest I can buy a fan will be like Tuesday, but I will buy one when I can. I found one for cheaper id you add on shipping. The weird thing is if I give the top middle area above the keyboard a kinda hard tap, it stops being as loud as it normally was, but sometimes it will make the noise I mentioned. I actually took the fan out when looking in it to see if something was stuck in it, it was really easy.

5. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

6. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I actually just read online that putting WD-40 on the fan shaft can help. I will try that tomorrow.

7. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I put some oil on the fan rod, and it doesn't make the whining noise anymore. I will still replace it, but this is a temporary fix until I can buy a fan.

8. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

**UPDATE**

I have been putting WD-40 on the fan for the past few weeks, and it has worked until yesterday. The fan wouldn't stop making the noise after I "fixed" it. I ordered a new fan today, luckily it died when I could afford a new one.