weird: why does my MBP hurt me? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seenew, Jul 3, 2009.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Okay I know the title was strange but I don't know how to describe this problem, haha.

So I am borrowing a friend's Macbook Pro for a month while I'm in New York. I've noticed two very strange things going on that don't affect the performance of the computer, but physically affect me using it. Hahaha.
    Okay so here goes:
    Whenever I rub the areas on the left and right of the trackpad it feels like it vibrates. You know how it feels when you run your finger over one of those holograms that they sometimes use for DVD cases, where you turn it back and forth and something animates? It has tiny ridges in it right, and it feels kind weird. That's what this feels like. The computer is not vibrating because it doesn't happen when my hand is sitting still on it, only when I move.. That doesn't bother me much I am just curious as to what is going on.. I'm not crazy!

The second, more annoying issue that really confuses me is that sometimes when I rest my forearms on the edges or corners on the front of the laptop, on either side of the trackpad like when I'm typing, I suddenly get this pin prick feeling or like a strong static shock. It's right on the edges of the laptop. I have no idea what is happening. I was thinking maybe it was a hair in my arm getting somehow hung in a crevice (this is not the unibody MBP), but it happens on both sides of the computer.. It's like a pin prick or a shock or a slight burn, as if you touch a hot mug before it cools down..

What is going on?! is my Macbook haunted?

Also is it common for the internal mics on these things to stop working? I heard that the new models have bad mics, but this is an older one (multi-piece body) and the mic used to work fine, but now when I video chat with people they say it sounds like I'm whispering. I even tried recording myself and it is indeed very faint...

What gives? :(

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The vibration on the aluminum is probably caused by using the 2-prong non-grounded travel adapter. Use the 3-prong cable and the problem should go away.

The sharp pain on the edges is the plastic trim either pinching your skin or catching hair on your skin.

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

the vibration happens even when it's not plugged in..

I guess it has to be pinching my hair or skin, but it's such a sharp pain, I dunno. Haha. I feel stupid, but it's so weird.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wrong, especially if it happens even if it's not plugged in.

Wrong. This is because of the grounded vs. non-grounded plug. I had this problem for a while and don't remember doing anything special to "fix" it- it just kind of went away after a while.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Have you noticed any... buzzing noises? Because this is a sign of a faulty power supply, and for some reason it is using emergency grounding into the case. It happened in Korea, but I lived with it. Does it get worse by rubbing the area above the keyboard? Ask Apple, because this is not supposed to happen.

6. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

So it IS electricity? That's kind of scary.

No buzzing other than the fan, but that's not a buzz, it's a whirr..
    And are you talking about the painful thing or the weird vibrating sensation?

7. XYZed macrumors newbie

OHMYGOD I thought I was the only one! Whenever my Macbook Pro gets hot and I rest my forearms on the corners it stings! But it only happens when it's hot. Weird.

8. Jelite macrumors 6502a

9. Panzo macrumors 6502

You have it all wrong, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

SOLUTION: Return the machine to its rightful owner, im sure it will feel right at home on their lap and it will not pinch them.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Okay I know you're not a newbie ;) you may also be pinching off the nerves in your arm just right by your own arms weight because it really is a palm rest and not an arm rest :p The other action is similar to the Pavlov Dog (can't remember who the other person was, guess I get a zap for that) experiment with the zapping in your case…some learn faster than others but your catching on (insert twisting of mustache followed by diabolical laugh).

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

lol, why is holy water trade marked?

12. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i've used the MBP classic in Europe as well as the states. I've experienced both of these phenomena that you are talking about. The sharp pain is from hairs getting caught between the plastic trim and the aluminum panel.

I'm not sure about the tingling. My electrical problem (fixed by Applecare, btw) manifested itself only when the computer was plugged in via a non-grounded plug in Europe's 220V outlets. However, an electrical problem, by it's very definition, would exist all over the metal case and not in an area. Then again, so would vibration! The computer is a solid conductor, so there cannot be vibration/current in one area and not the other.

I would look at your computer again and confirm that the symptoms are localized as you posted earlier.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It used to happen to me when my arms were touching both the edge of the machine and the edge of my metal-rimmed desk, thus closing the circuit.

And vibration can certainly be localized; depending on shape of the solid and how different parts act as dampers.