Weird Wifi Failure

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pilotrtc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I had a weird experience today. I turned on the Wifi on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and connected to a network that I've been connected to before. After a little time, I noticed the Wifi symbol was no longer appearing in the upper left area of the info bar and, of course, I couldn't connect to the Internet.

I launched Settings to check to make sure I was still connected to the network and saw that I was. It had the network name listed there and a check mark next to the network and the signal was pretty strong but no Wifi symbol.

I finally turned it off and when I got home, everything returned to normal. Does anyone know why this happened?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I've noticed my Touch can be fussy if my wifi network is set NOT to broadcast the SSID. If yours is also disabled, try enabling it to see if that gives better consistency.

3. pilotrtc thread starter macrumors regular

The problem occurred with another network, not my home network.

If it's a setting of the network, then I'm at their mercy.

4. pilotrtc thread starter macrumors regular

Update

So, while at home and connected to my home network, I was watching some TV on i.TV and all of a sudden the show stopped. I waited a little to see if it was a caching issue but it never continued. I then looked for the Wifi symbol and it wasn't there!

I then looked up the SSID suggestion and I believe my network is transmitting its SSID because I did not set it to be closed and my network's name is always showing.

So, now I think I'm back to square one. Does anyone out there have an iPod that occasionally loses its Wifi connection despite claiming to still be attached under Settings?

Thanks in advance

5. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

It may be worth checking to see if there are no conflicting wifi channels when the drops occur, i.e. if a neighbour is using the same channel as you, or a channel close to it which would cause your signal to become degraded.

Use 'Airport Radar' widget if you are using a Mac computer.

6. voltare macrumors member

I have the exact same problem. I've just lived with it, hoping apple would fix it. Sometimes, turning it off and on works, sometimes it doesn't do anything.

7. pilotrtc thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I investigated the channel thing via Airport Radar and found that even though the channel I was using was not being used by any other network (I live in an apartment building and there are a LOT of networks) there were a lot that were repeated and right next to my number. My channel is 7 and there were a lot of 6s and 8s.

I turned on Interference Robustness and so far so good without extensive testing. But I have to wonder if this is really a network thing. My laptops have never lost their connection (neither my brand new MacBook nor my old PowerBook G4) and don't when I take them out and about so I have to wonder if this is just a network problem.

Thoughts?

8. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I've found this happening with my 1st gen touch since the 2.2 firmware upgrade. Think its a bug within the firmware.

Usually turning wi-fi off then on again cures it but sometimes I have to reboot my touch.

9. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

this happens to me occasionally on my 2G. not enough to be really annoying, but it would be nice if they fixed it in the next firmware release.