Weird WiFi problem with MacBookk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikey B, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have a 1.83 CD MacBook that is having some weird issue with internet connectivity at home. I have no problems with wifi anywhere else, but when at home I am constantly getting unable to connect messages when using Safari and lost connectivity with any app that uses the net.

THere are 5 lights on my DSL router, the bottom 2 of which display the state of the connection by either being green for good or flashing red for bad. Constantly, as I surf, it will lose connection and the "Internet" light will go blank and the "DSL" light will flash red. It usually resolves itself quickly, but it happens a lot. So, I called AT&T and they came out to check lines and replaced the router and all seemed well because it held the connection decently and then it started going haywire again and has been ever since.

The weird thing is, though, if I plug into the router via Ethernet, it works just fine. So it seems to be that the problem is with the Airport card on my Mac, since the router is brand-new and works fine through Ethernet, but my Mac has no problems on wifi anywhere else but home. Weird!

Sorry for the long post, I hope explained it well. Does anyone have any ideas or has experienced a similar issue?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It seems to me like it's the router acting up again. Give AT&T a call.

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

By eliminating all possibilities, its probably the router's wireless connection that's at fault. But it could be due to interference in your house. Make sure neither the router or computer are too near other electrical devices.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Download iStumbler and take a look at other wireless networks near you and see if any are on the same channel as you, might be as simple as changing the channel you broadcast on.