Weird wifi/router issue. Don't think anyones had this problem...Searched

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Iphone5preorder, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I have an iphone 5 and an old Linksys WRT54G Router. The router has worked amazing with everything in the past including Iphone 3Gs, 4, 4S etc..so It's not a router issue.

Anyways, what happens is I will be connected to my wifi at home and if I decide to turn off Wifi on my iphone 5 to use LTE real quick, it'll shut my internet down. So I have to restart the router and modem every single time.

This happens EVERY time I turn wifi off and back on. It also happens when I shut the phone off and turn it back on. This is insanely annoying issue because it makes no sense. Why does my iphone have the power to shut the whole internet down? What is going on within the router "realm" to do this?

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated. Please no "get a new router" or "stop turning your wifi off" ..

2. MichaelKB macrumors member

That's the strangest thing ever. LOL Might try to install some different router firmware or upgrade yours if it's out of date. There are several you can install on that router. Hit the google and see what you find. :)

3. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know right? I'll try :(

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You may find the age of the router restricts the firmware you can use due to the size of the flash rom chip. Some WRT54G routers are very old indeed and you need to check which you have.

Start here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series