Weird Windows Errors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Enigmafan420, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Okay, so I searched a bit (but not a lot because I am at work) for help with this.

Running a 2011 MBP, don't think the Specs matter. I bought it after Lion was announced but before it shipped, so I got the Lion update free.

Before I got Lion, installed Win 7-no problems. I then updated to Lion, still no problems.

Then I got 10.7.1 whenever it came out. This morning, booted Windows for the first time since the upgrade and I can NOT use the keyboard. No matter what character I type, I get numbers as output. Happens in FireFox, IE, Word, etc.

This needless to say is VERY AGITATING and also makes Windows much less usable than it admittedly already is.

Anyone else heard of this or seen this? I don't use Windows much, but when I do, I need to be able to type in it :)

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

That happened to me once, though it was a dell, a while ago. I think I was still on vista. Don't remember how I fixed it, it was either a reset or re-install, after a while all the bugs just kind of blend together

3. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Okay well, I need a bit more than this :)

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

5. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I was thinking that too-but I have now discovered this is happening ONLY with Web browsers, or so I think it is. I can type normally with Notepad. However, IE, Firefox, and Safari I only get garbled numbers and symbols when trying to enter a web address or in a form (like the Google search box). As far as I can tell, Numlock is not on.

Weird, never seen this in 10 years of Windows, both XP and 7, and three years of back on the Mac.

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

You could possibly try two things...

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Reset PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

And try reinstalling your OS X drivers from the CD you made to do so. Also, try updating Bootcamp to the latest version if you haven't done so via Software Update.

7. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Did all of this-no results. The weird thing is, and this didn't occur to me, that I have to enter my password to get into Windows 7. So it works there, it works on Note Pad, but not on ANY web browser?!? WTF?!? :mad: :confused:

----------

One more thing, if type slowly, no matter what letter, the next number in the sequence from 0-9 comes up. So if the last number that shows on the URL bar was a 6, no matter which keyboard character I press, 7 will appear.

If I press the keys very rapidly, occasionally, the correct letter will appear in the middle of the string of numbers that keeps repeating.

This is ONLY HAPPENING in web browsers. Not in any other windows program I have tried. IT does NOT happen at all in any Mac program.

:mad: :confused: :(

----------

And an external USB keyboard has not resolved the problem.

8. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Figured it out-it's the stupid COMCAST constant guard application. Removed it and all is well. UGH!