Weird windows on shutdown: mal ware?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GingerPunk2, Dec 9, 2014.

1. GingerPunk2 macrumors newbie

Hey all.

First off apologies if this has been asked and answered but I can't see anything anywhere on the Internet.

Shutting down my imac 2013 27. Running mountain lion. I keep getting an install windows saying do I wish to abort or continue the installation! I haven't downloaded any software. And today when shutting down it said that another user was logged in and shutting down will disconnect all users. There are no other users or people that have access to my imac.

I have a feeling that I have downloaded some dodgy .exe file somewhere or even more stupidly something like Mac defender as I remember trying to sort my computer out last week with mackeeper.

Anyone experienced this?

All help is appreciated.
    G

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you only partially installed some app in the past and it's still trying to complete the install process. It could be an update to existing software, so you may not have actively downloaded it. Is there anything in the message that identifies what app or update is being installed?
    .exe files cannot execute in OS X, so even if you had one, it would have no affect on your system. MacDefender cannot run on your iMac and didn't produce the symptoms you described.

I highly recommend you completely uninstall MacKeeper, as it can cause more problems than it claims to solve.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

4. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Will remove mackeeper tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the "user" issue? As this was new today and no one has access to my mac. Only files are a couple of shared dropboxes.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd remove MacKeeper first, then see if any symptoms remain.

6. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will do.

Hopefully it'll clear up. Will report back tomorrow. Much appreciated.

7. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys you nailed it. Removed mackeeper. And used aware medic. All sorted.

Muchos appreciated

G

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

And also upgrade to Yosemite to keep yourself secure.

9. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't do that right now due to software restrictions and my job. But as soon as I have upgraded relevant I will so for sure.

Thanks again