WEIRD Windows Startup Freeze - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ryantoronto, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ryantoronto macrumors newbie

Ive seen many threads on how to fix this problem, and i have done everything I can find on the internets.

Basically my issue is this-- like said in the title, my windows side of my macbook pro 2.4 GHz, Intel core 2 duo, 3 gigs ram ddr2sd, now enjoys freezing at start up. Some sites have mentioned that it is an issue of software incompatibility in drivers, some have said that my windows system files are corrupt, and others just say give up and rejoin the partition, erase old data and start anew. I would have liked to avoid the last one but it got the point where nothing worked.

So! I have tried booting in safe mode, (to maybe run checkdisk etc) I got onto desktop to choose yes/no for system restore and then it would randomly freeze and cause me to have to turn the power off manually. Safemode now freezes when loading mup.sys....FAIL!

Then I tried booting with the XP CD, and did a repair through the install disc options. It worked, and then sooner or later it froze again on desktop, and then when i restarted my computer it froze on startup. So i attempted to repair again through the CD and it then wouldnt even make it past the startup to begin installing the rest of XP. FAIL!

After a few more attempts, it then went to the issue of hal.dll not being present/corrupt, and then i used recovery console to repair from CD (expand D:\i386\hal.dl_ C:Windows\system32), and yet it still said corrupt. After about 4 hours of working on it, I gave up, and then did the whole, format- remove partition in OSX - erase free space-- and set up partition again (50 gigs, NTFS). YAY it worked, I installed XP and had a clean slate, installed my drivers from the burnt bootcamp disc, and then went downstairs to play some videogames, everything works golden!!!. As soon as I plugged in my internet cable- bam! it froze on desktop. I hold down power button to reset, and guess what, it freezes at startup again(Windows loading screen). <slits wrists>

I have no idea what the issue is, could it be a virus that uploads itself from my router when i plug it in? I have no clue and have tried everything i could find on the internet!

Please help. Im going mad. ALL i want to do is play bioshock 2.

thanks!!
    -ryan:confused:

2. ryantoronto thread starter macrumors newbie

First Person To Solve This Gets The Title Of Genius And 1000 Points!

3. Damo01 macrumors regular

Have you tried using msconfig utility and disable any start up files especially bootcamp?

If you haven't you can try it by clicking on start, run and type in "msconfig" without the quotes and disable bootcamp and see whether that stop the random freeze

4. ryantoronto thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill attempt to get into safemode- it has froze in load up in the past, but if i can get into desktop ill try disabling bootcamp :)

5. ryantoronto thread starter macrumors newbie

Still need help folks. The only thing that i can update is that the only thing that seems to allow it to function is a clean reformatting, and fresh install of windows. I have noticed though, this time around the system froze while i installing the mac drivers onto windows... it froze on Intel Chip set.
    I had my whole "motherboard" (not sure what u call it on mac) changed when the whole system died on me for a second time. (Thank you applecare) could it be possible they put in a different chipset? and now my old drivers cd isnt compatible?? WHo knows- keep answers coming please! I need my windows side for my games ppl!!!!:eek:

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Have you tried CTRL-ALT-DEL? :p

I'm sorry, I know that does not help. Here's a free bump from me.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yeah, I have this on one of my windows distros as well. What it is, is a driver that is taking a very long time to either load, setup or timeout. The one I have locks up the entire machine for about 2 to 3 minutes! :( Fortunately I know what the driver is and know how to uninstall it; but I need it for now.

In Windows XP and later, which I'm assuming you're running it is very difficult for an application to totally lockup the system, but it can be done. The first thing I would do is to check to see if there are any applications being run at startup. Unfortunately I can't remember what the right commands are... windows -> system -> control panel -> Administrator Tools -> System something -> expand it out to Startup Items. From there, you can uncheck the items you want to disable and play around with it until you figure out what, if anything is causing the delay.

If it isn't an app, then it is most likely a driver. Have you installed any new drivers? If so, try uninstalling them. Windows -> System -> Add / Delete Programs -> find the drivers and uninstall them.

One of those SHOULD fix your problem.

You could also bootup with boot logging turned on (F8 at startup) and enable boot logging; and you can try it with a step by step where you have to let each thing load. Eventually you'll find the one that takes a long time. It will give you the name of the file, but then you have to work backwards to find out what that file is associated with.

Good luck.