Weirdest Airport Express Problem, no 2.4ghz?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by milesdavis, Mar 9, 2011.

1. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

I'm having a very strange Airport Extreme problem...

my 2.4GHZ network do not work or are EXTREMELY slow but my 5GHZ works totally fine??

First, I plugged modem directly into laptop and speed is around 30MPBS . With the Airport using the 5Ghz network, speed is around 14-20mpbs , with the 2.4ghz network gets about 4mpbs

This is the case for my laptop + iphone as well!

It seems like my Roku that is streaming from the 2.4ghz will play, but always loses signal and has to be reset because the slow speed.

This is making me crazy!

I already attempted to change the signals [ currently and has been set to manual channel 9 ] and it did not make a difference!

Thanks so much for any help!

MD

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I guess let's start with a clean slate, do a true factory reset (Google or MRoogle) your Express and re-configure it. While you're at it, reboot your modem as well.

3. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Hi Jenzjen!

Thank you. I will start there. Do I need to back up any of my settings? Right now my 5G network is working pretty well, so I want to make sure I don't make anything worse [ see pandoras box ] .

I will start here in a bit and reply back in the forum as to where I am.

Thank you again! MD

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You don't need to back them up per se, as the goal is to first get you back to factory fresh and then reconfigure both devices. You will have to reconfigure the network, any port customization, etc that you may have done so would write that down so you can redo it again.

5. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Okay, thank you. So, should I just write down everything in the Airport Options screen , ie channel settings, etc? I think I have tweaked that with Apple support in the past, especially in regard to my networked drives working properly.

ALSO I have not upgraded to a new firmware, using 7.4.2 still as I had problems with 7.5.1 -- is this smart in your estimation?

Thanks again!

6. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Just an update on this weird issue. I was concerned about setting this thing up again from scratch, mainly because I knew it could potentially kill my 5g network [ not likely, but possible ] . SO I tried to just rename my network.... I did that updated, tested and now everything works normally again??!

I have no idea why -- I wonder if somehow that network name became corrupted or something ? Is that even possible?

Thanks again! MD