Weirdest car issue. EVER.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iLikeToDrum, Aug 1, 2011.

1. iLikeToDrum macrumors member

So I was driving home last night, and all the sudden my car starts like.. jumping/ skipping. Stalling/ running, I don't know how to explain it really.

There was white smoke out of the back and it was rocking. It died as I was turning off the street so I could get out of traffic.

Any ideas what's wrong? Timing chain? Water pump? Fuel pump?

Oh. It's a Nissan Altima.

Ideas? Anyone? Bueller?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This ^

3. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

hah. so many say the engine in those is bullet proof though...

4. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

What year?

Sounds like it could be a head gasket to me. I think that can cause white exhaust and would explain the stalling/stuttering.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

White smoke out of the tailpipe usually indicates coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, possibly due to a blown head gasket..

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

depends on the engine. If it is the 2.5L engine that engine is a POS and far from bullet proof. If I had to guess based on the white smoke sounds like you blew your head gasket and you are burning coolent.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I had something similar in my old Mitsubishi, and it ended up being the transmission. Happened to me on a highway, and I had to pull over.

8. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Go to the auto service, isn't safe to be around in that car. You asking on a Mac forum about this is what is wrong

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Sounds like it grenaded...have you had a look at it? Any holes in the block?leaks?

10. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

Mechanic was outta town this weekend, got back tonight. Triple A'ing tomorrow to him, hopefully.

It's 1997, by the way.

11. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So happy I got rid of mine. I had the 08 2.5S and although it looked great on the outside, the interior was a cheap rattlebox. Didn't even have it a year.

13. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

It could also be something as simple as crud and crap in the gasoline which got sucked into the engine. If you've been buying gas at the cheapest mom & pop convenient store in town, it would't surprise me at all.

....sT

14. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Dane Cook :)

15. jammydoug macrumors newbie

i have a mini cooper S 2005. Well for the past few days when i leave the office and get to my car, the windows and the sunroof are about 1/2 way open. i swear i am not doing it and i thought maybe someone was messing with me but i really dont think its anyone doing it to me, its my car. Is it posessed? I am not holding down any buttons on the FOB on accident. It has been really cold here for a while but it doesnt happen over night, just during the day. someone please tell me if i need a priest to de-demonize my car or if there's something logical going on.

16. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

Cool story bro. :rolleyes:

Head gasket blown, dropping a new engine in. 14-1600 bucks...

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive had weirder car issues haha

least you are getting a new engine.....is it new or used? if used, totally change all the seals while you have it out

18. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

This. Head Gasket must be super *********. Same thing happened to a friend of mine's Honda due to street racing.

19. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Not necessarily, just exchange the head gasket ;)

20. wpotere Guest

Your issue is the battery. The MINI (I own one and I am a bit of a fanatic) is electronic heavy. If your battery is going south it will start to do the things that you mentioned.

21. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

Dude. I WISH haha. that'd be only 1100. But it looks like they did some crazy bondo fix or something. Mechanic can tell they recently had the engine apart. It's probably warped in there....

Wish I'd not have purchased this car right about now.

My options:

Get different, possibly just as screwed up, car for 1900...

OR

Drop the new 93k mile engine with 90 day warranty and then drive the car. for 1900..

I think I am just getting an engine instead of a diff car as this one is indeed decent, has ac, good stereo, fits my drums.... blah blah. Versus getting a different cheap used car that may have the exact same issue.

22. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

^^This.
    If I recall correctly this is the Altima that had radiator problems previously. I suggested that it may have been a blown head gasket then... Your car is at about the right milage- mine was close to 100-110K miles. At least this one is a known quantity.

Anyway to others- There is little in common with 2000's and 1990's Nissans. The OP's car is a typical 90's Nissan product-overall very durable, but with odd issues that popup every now and then that although frustrating tend to be rather easy to fix. The KA24DE engine in the OP's car is shared with several models including the Nissan Hardbody trucks, 240SX, amongst others.

23. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

Well, we're dropping in a new engine. It's from a 98 so there is a little bit of fit work needed...