weirdest iPod issues I've ever seen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by morpheus0061, Dec 8, 2010.

1. morpheus0061 macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my 2nd-gen 32 gig touch to 4.2.1, and since then my iPod's been a big bag of hurt. The exactitude of the issues changes from day to day, but the main issue is that the iPod will randomly select a track and decide to start playing it at the very end, which makes the iPod skip to the next song (one night it would skip every 1st track, then the next night it was every 5th, and so on). The 'pod will also start various tracks at :5, :8, :18, random places like that. I checked the individual track options in iTunes and they're all set to play normally (from beginning to end). I've reset my iPod but that hasn't helped. Has anyone else been affected by this or is it just me?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I've never heard of such a problem before. Did you do a restore or just a hardware reset?

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I haven't heard of this issue before. I did the same thing (upgrade 2nd gen to 4.2.1) and have not had this probably, but it is alarming. As the other user said, hardware reset or restore?

4. morpheus0061 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid I'm not sure what the difference is, I probably didn't use the right term. I did a Restore from iTunes, and I'm not familiar with 'hardware reset.' It sounds like fun. How do I do that?

5. toypadlock macrumors member

Yes!

I've had this too. It occasionally won't play the first track of an album (just starts it right at the end and won't let me go back into it) but has now taken to starting all first tracks at 42 seconds in.

So weird.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution yet, but I'm watching this thread.

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Googled you problem, the only things I really found were these two:

1. If you use the apple earbuds with the built in mic... try different headphones to see if the problem stops.

2. Cut and pasted...

I finally figured out that all of the songs that the touch has problems playing were ripped using a version of iTunes from '04. It turns out that the iPod touch has some problem with the ripped music from that period. I was finding songs that wouldn't play from lots of different CDs that were ripped in the same few days. By re-ripping the songs with the latest iTunes the problem went away.

Ugh - lots of ripping later (the bad songs were all from my first huge rip fest with iTunes, so I've had to re-rip LOTS of CDs) the touch plays songs flawlessly

If the above solutions don't work take it to the Apple Store. I know it's out of warrantee but you never know...

Link if interested:

http://www.google.com/search?client...ing+in+the+middle+of+a+song&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

This is a real stretch... is shake to shuffle turned off?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That was the only other thing I could think of..but that wouldn't make sense that it'd start the songs at the same time (besides the beginning of the song)..

This really is strange..especially since we don't know what's causing it, and why it effects some that performed the same update but not others..