Weirdest screen glitch

Morrae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I opened my MacBook Air 13' today and noticed some strange lines at the edge of my screen. I tried to take a picture of it, but as you can guess, it's not very good, although you can still see them.

The weird part? It only occurs on the lock screen. I tried to play with brightness or put different colors and shapes in normal working mode, but I can't see them. The only time I can is on the lock screen. Here's two images of exact same spot on the lock screen and in normal mode.

These lines go away as you can see.

Now, at this point I should add, that I had some repairs done about a month ago. I took my laptop to the service and they replaced my whole lid with screen under warranty. They did not do a very good job of it (I live in Russia and service centers are outsourced over here), the lid is now slightly crooked and I can feel the edges of the lid and laptop itself do not align properly while lid is closed. It doesn't bother me much so I did not bring it back.
So, what's that? Should I be worried? Should I bring it to the other service center?

Thanks.

PS: album with better resolution pictures

motrek

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2012
... They did not do a very good job of it (I live in Russia and service centers are outsourced over here), the lid is now slightly crooked and I can feel the edges of the lid and laptop itself do not align properly while lid is closed. It doesn't bother me much so I did not bring it back. ...
Sorry, can't speak to the graphics problem, but the lid/hinge seems to be pretty easy to align yourself if you have the right screwdrivers to open the case.

I haven't done it myself but I did watch somebody do it and it seemed straightforward and pretty easy. There must be instructions online for doing it. Might as well, if it's worth a few dollars and a few minutes to you.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
It looks like a wallpaper. It looks like a faint mountain behind mist.

Morrae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
It looks like a wallpaper. It looks like a faint mountain behind mist.
Look closer. It's not a horizontal line. It's lot's of vertical absolutely straight lines, on half an inch wide are just to the border of the screen. Problem persists on any kind of wallpaper, I checked.

Sorry, can't speak to the graphics problem, but the lid/hinge seems to be pretty easy to align yourself if you have the right screwdrivers to open the case.

I haven't done it myself but I did watch somebody do it and it seemed straightforward and pretty easy. There must be instructions online for doing it. Might as well, if it's worth a few dollars and a few minutes to you.
You would be amazed how difficult it is to buy pentalobe 5 screw driver over here :D I ordered one from aliexpress and I'm waiting for it 2 weeks already. I'm handy and fixed a lot of electronics in my home. Thanks anyway

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Look closer. It's not a horizontal line. It's lot's of vertical absolutely straight lines, on half an inch wide are just to the border of the screen. Problem persists on any kind of wallpaper, I checked.
oh That is very hard to see because of the low quality image
I kinda see it in the second image

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.