Weirdest thing ever about applecare!! Please read!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok so I bought my mac pro in january with applecare (that I had to enroll myself).

So when I received it the first thing I did after setting up the mac pro was register my mac pro for applecare, but also I wanted to see if I could add my 23" ACD along with the mac pro's apple care together you know. So I entered the serial number for my 23" ACD then I get some kind of error that wont let me go to the next step so I erased the 23" ACD's serial number and finished registering with applecare for just my mac pro.

3 months later now today, I ordered a apple display applecare from ebay for $40 and today I tried to register my 23" acd and it saids that there is an error so I have to call apple. So before calling apple I entered the serial number for my 23" ACD to verify if it was under apple care and to my surprised its been registered along with my mac pro!!

I opened the letter that I received from apple care to verify that the 23" acd was with the mac pro and indeed it was listed there along with my mac pro!!

The thing about it is that I only purchased the mac pro + apple care for the mac pro not the 23" ACD. I already owned the 23" ACD for a good 7-8 months before the mac pro purchase.. so I thought it only worked if you bought the mac pro + an ACD at the same time in the same receipt... somehow the system got messed up or I guess it works?? Now I have a opened apple display apple care for 3 years applecare box just sitting at home.. maybe I'll buy that 30" and use that lol.

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Interesting, I have wondered about this my self (purchased to together)
    same receipt? Or same time, different receipts? I have been meaning to call apple and ask. I will be purchasing a mac pro when my tax return is received. I have a $500 gift card for best buy and will be getting a monitor through them. If I do decide on the apple 23 acd. Can I purchase the mac pro on line or the apple store, and the monitor from best buy, the same day. Does that qualify for purchased together?
    From your story, it sound as if they only care that they be registered together.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I purchased the mac pro from macmall.com and the 23" ACD 7-8 months earlier from my local apple store. So I guess it doesnt matter where you buy the apple product. Thats the weird part the applecare online wouldnt continue to the next part of the registration but after I entered the serial # for the 23" ACD it said an error so cannot continue so I just erases the serial # of the ACD and continued just with the mac pros serial #. But you can enter multiple serial #. Anyways you could give it a shot, if it doesnt work u can buy apple care for acd on ebay for $40 + ur using a $500 gift card from best buy so u got nothing to lose. :)