Weirdest thing happened on new iPod Touch..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by heyyitssusan, Aug 17, 2014.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

So I had an old 5th gen that I jailbroke, and I did a fresh restore on iTunes before I got rid of it. Everything went back to stock, and obviously the jailbreak was gone.

I have a new 5th gen that I just backed up on iTunes last night, and the weirdest thing is that the battery percentage is on there. It's not jailbroken at all, cause I just took it out of the box last night and restored it. Just curious as to how that happened. iTunes doesn't save the jailbreak does it?

I'm not complaining because it's nice to know where the battery is, but I'm just curious at how that happened. Am I the only one that's happened to?

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've had that happen on my 2G, 3G, and 4G touch. Something still gets leftover on occasion, especially if you're using backups from iTunes. If you set it up as new and don't restore a backup, it should be gone.

Reason being is that it is a stock setting in iOS for the iPhone, just not the iPod. But since it's just a plist string it gets backed up and restored.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Is there any easy way of sticking it in my iPod5 - by easy I mean copying over a file with iFunBox or something. I do not want to jailbreak and I don't want to restore from an iPhone backup which would take an entire day out of my life.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

From what I can tell, there is a way to change the plist with iBackupBot as referenced here.

Looks like you download the app, create a backup in iTunes, open your backup with iBackupBot and navigate to Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist
    then add the key
    Code:
    <dict>
       [B]<key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
       <true/>[/B]
    Then save the plist file and restore the backup to the iPod.

Bit of a pain for nothing but a percentage. Never really needed it on my iPod, though I always had it on my various droids and iPhone. But it can be done if it's worth it to you. Best of luck!

I believe this tutorial will still work with iOS 7 too, though it was originally for iOS 6.

5. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

You don't need to jailbreak to get battery % on an iPT5. I did it about 3-4 years ago on my iPT4 in iOS 4.x or 5.x and it's always stayed enabled in backups and restores across every upgrade.

6. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I remember racing about how to get battery percentage on an iPod touch a whole ago...I remember that it didn't need a jailbreak.

So if you wiped your iPod, and essentially removed the jailbreaking it's something else that has that one.

Not sure what it is...if only I could find that article. :confused:

7. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Here's an old thread explaining how to do it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1648467

The problem with all of these methods is they require a restore, which for me takes an entire day as I have to redownload and manually recopy lot of stuff that doesn't get restored automatically, like large mapping data bases and music I play from directories rather than iTunes.

8. saudor macrumors 6502

my media remained when i went through that process

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah the percentage apparently is quite inaccurate though, so yeah. I haven't seen any inaccuracies myself since I haven't modified my iPod touch 5 to do this, but keep that in mind I guess.

10. saudor macrumors 6502

it messes up when the iPod is <80-90%
    If you're running an intensive task, battery drops down significantly to like 60%. As soon as you go back to light tasks, it goes back up.