iPhone Weirdest touch screen problem after 6.1 update

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cipo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. cipo macrumors member

I just updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 6.1. Since then my screen consistently behaves as follows: as long as I provide input to the touch screen (i.e. keep tapping / swiping across the screen) everything's normal. But as soon as I don't touch the screen for more than 2 seconds, it becomes totally unresponsive, not registering any touch input at all (home button still works). When I lock / unlock the phone it works again until the next time I let go of the screen for 2 seconds. A reboot doesn't help. What's worse: even a factory reset does not help.

Any idea what else I could try apart from bringing the phone to an Apple store? From the symptoms I don't see how this could be a hardware problem, but then again it seems to be a rare issue, I did not find any other mentions of this on the web.

2. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

3. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Hold the top button and the home button until your phone completly restarts...its called a hard reset try it and let me know its not uncommon to update to new software and 1 thing might of glitched or bugged.

Do the hard reset and let me know what happens

5. cipo thread starter macrumors member

Well first of all it did not restart after performing the hard reset, but simply went off. I had to boot it again myself. And the touch screen problem is still there. :(

Guess I have to take it to a store then.

6. iMichael! macrumors regular

If you feel that's the best option.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You need to plug it into iTunes and do a fresh install of 6.1

8. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Nah he might actually just have a defective screen..Apple will replace your phone no problem OP.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Given the issue has started straight after an update he might as well save a trip.

10. cipo thread starter macrumors member

I did. That's what I meant by saying "factory reset". I did a fresh "restore" to 6.1 via iTunes. But somehow the glitch must have survived this.

Yes, plus the fact that the screen itself works fine whenever I play the lock / unlock game. 95% sure it's a software issue. But I don't know how to get rid of it.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Did you restore from a backup at all mate??

12. cipo thread starter macrumors member

First thing I tried was to restore to a 3 days old backup. iTunes told me it could not start because there was not enough space on the device, which I found odd considering I had 2.5GB left and I had assumed the backup would simply replace the current contents and not copy the backup files to the iPhone first. Anyway, since I had never restored to a backup before and did not know the process, I decided to do a fresh restore to 6.1 first, then eventually would restore to my backup later on. But because even the fresh restore did not solve my problem I didnt even try to restore the backup again.

13. cipo thread starter macrumors member

OK, here's what happened: I had an appointment with a genius a couple of hours ago. Told him what had happened and showed him the phone. He said he had not seen this before, but assumed it was some sort of minor hardware defect that the phone had from day 1 but that only showed itself due to some change in iOS 6.1. I agree that this is the most plausible explanation. He exchanged the phone, I restored from the backup, everything's perfect.

On a side note, this was also my first exposure to the whole scuffgate thing because he opened two boxes with phones that had minor scratches before finding a perfect one. He inspected them himself btw, not sure if I would have even said somethig. Anyway he said that on average 10 - 15% have these defects and are labeled DOA, and that some batches are better than others (today was a particularly bad day).

Thanks for your help guys.

14. prwprw macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problem, thanks for the guidance. Unfortunately the next appointment near me is not until Monday and this problem is really frustrating...

15. dazed macrumors 6502a

10 - 15% defect rate? That's terrible!

I'm sure Apple is pissed even though they won't admit it.