Weirdness after a logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boston04and07, Aug 14, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hey guys, my white late-2007 MacBook recently had its logic board repaired, and ever since then, some weird things have been happening with it. The first and most annoying thing is that connecting my external display (HP w2338h) to use my MacBook in desktop mode simply does not work like it did before. I'll connect the display, make sure mirroring is turned on, shut the lid of my MacBook, but instead of going to sleep, my MacBook will just shut off. I'll disconnect the display and open the lid to turn it back on, and it then proceeds to show me the regular Apple boot screen...but with a status bar beneath it that I've never seen before. I've attached a picture of this.

All I really want to do is to use my MacBook normally with the external display...any ideas?? :confused: :(

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did once get the external to mirror my MacBook, but that when I did, the picture quality wasn't quite as sharp as it was before the repair. I tried reconnecting it, and haven't been able to get it working since. :(

Attached Files:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sounds like maybe a short somewhere. I'd call Apple back, or go back to the Genius bar and get it taken care of.

As for that bar, IIRC, that's the computer restoring from Hibernate mode. You'll get that when you calibrate the battery, and fully drain it beyond the point where the computer self-sleeps. Hibernate is where the MacBook stores your data to the HDD instead of keeping it in RAM, so it takes longer to restore your desktop and where you left off, hence the progress bar.

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks for your help! That's really interesting about the hibernate mode - I'd never heard of that. After reading your post I happened to look at the repair receipt and noticed something I hadn't seen before - the genius who'd fixed my computer had scribbled something about my "3rd party RAM working intermittently." I do have 3rd party RAM from Crucial installed, and it's worked nicely for the several months I've had it. Additionally, in System Profiler, it says that both RAM sticks are OK. I never actually spoke with a Genius when I picked my MacBook up, since the store was pretty busy, so idk. Could faulty RAM be causing this issue too?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I suppose it could if it's causing some sort of issue with the RAM+GPU just because the x3100 gets it's memory from your system RAM.

If it's readily reproducible, they can't really argue that it's an issue. The only caveat I can think of is if they ask you to swap back in the factory RAM and the problem is fixed they'll claim it's the crucial RAM.

If that ends up being the case, you're still in the 1-year warranty for your crucial RAM. You can try RMA'ing the DIMMs for new pieces and see if those work.

Hope that helps :)

5. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thank you! :) As of last night my MacBook has been actually behaving itself...if it happens again though, I'll definitely take it back to the store and see what the deal is. I hope it's nothing, since I'm not excited about having to leave my MacBook there for another whole week!

6. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Ohh I just thought of one more question. :) I've noticed that this sleep problem happens only when I put my MacBook to sleep via the  menu - when I simply close the lid, it goes into sleep mode normally like it always used to, and is able to be woken up with my keyboard and mouse. I don't know if that makes any difference. Anyways, you mention that it sounds like there's a short somewhere - is this something that can possibly wait a little while, or should I bring in my MacBook asap? I just left it with them for a week and wanted to catch up on some work before I left it for *another* week!

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That isn't the "Safe Sleep" bar.

That shows a greyed-out image of your Mac OS X session before the power was lost.

I'm not sure what the bar that the OP is getting is though

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure that's how the feature is supposed to work.

Plug in Keyboard, Mouse + Display

Close the computer lid (let it sleep)

Then press a key on the keyboard.

9. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yep, that feature is working for me. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear - what I meant was, after I've successfully hooked up my MacBook to the monitor, and want to put it to sleep, I can't do so by clicking on  -> Sleep. When I do that, it goes into hibernate as NewMacbookPlz described, and in order to wake it I have to unplug everything and turn it on with the power button, since clicking the mouse can't wake it from hibernate. I used to put it to sleep and then wake it up all the time using the Apple menu before the logic board replacement, and since it still goes to sleep normally when I just shut the lid, it's weird that it won't sleep normally when I click on  -> Sleep. Hope this makes sense, I know it's kind of a weird thing to describe!

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'd get that type of progress bar when you closed the lid on the older Macbooks/Pros, removed the battery, and replaced it.