Weirdness: Put your ear to the Touch ID ring of your iPhone 6 / 6 Plus!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
With your phone unlocked, screen on, put your ear to the Touch ID.

Makes a curious clicking/ticking sound. Confirmed on both my iPhone 6 Plus and the wife's iPhone 6.

Does not do this on an iPhone 5s.

I'm wondering if this is the circuitry being kept alive for the Reachability feature? Either way, the only reason I discovered this is because I could hear it in a quiet room when I rested my finger on the Touch ID ring to log in to 1Password.

Yep, hearing like a dog!

booksbooks

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2013
I tested this and I too heard that weird quiet buzzing sound. I turned off reachability in Settings>General and now I can't hear the sound.

I'm beginning to worry that the 6 Plus is a lemon what with the potential structural weakness, sluggish performance, and now this. I get it can also be on the 6's.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I tested this and I too heard that weird quiet buzzing sound. I turned off reachability in Settings>General and now I can't hear the sound.

I'm beginning to worry that the 6 Plus is a lemon what with the potential structural weakness, sluggish performance, and now this. I get it can also be on the 6's.
What in the world would this have to do with the phone being a lemon?

----------

Doesn't appear to happen with mine (6), and I'm usually good at hearing things like that.
Rest your finger on the button and then put your ear to the phone like you're making a call. Do it in a dead silent room and don't move around. It's a very VERY low ticking sound. Barely there at all.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
What in the world would this have to do with the phone being a lemon?

----------

Rest your finger on the button and then put your ear to the phone like you're making a call. Do it in a dead silent room and don't move around. It's a very VERY low ticking sound. Barely there at all.
Lol I hear it. Sounds normal to me. I mean it's an electronic device after all.

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yep, sounds like a little generator.

Maybe it only happens if you put your ear so close that it starts trying to scan it? :D

Does a touch ID buzz if no-one's ear is around to hear it :cool:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Yep, sounds like a little generator.

Maybe it only happens if you put your ear so close that it starts trying to scan it? :D

Does a touch ID buzz if no-one's ear is around to hear it :cool:

no but a tree falls down :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Ahh, I didn't have my finger on the button before. I'm at work now so it's kinda noisy :)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
of course it will buzz when you touch the ring, you are completing the circuit, you are the on button

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.