Welcome Back Soldier!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tktaylor1, Dec 25, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

How sad. Reason 495809348503845 for me to hate the stupidness that is sports. Unreal how angry people get over a stupid game that they aren't even participating in.

I really hope a miracle comes along and this guy is able to survive and walk again.

I also hope the shooter is caught.

3. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

THIS is why you hate sports? Good grief.

4. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I used to be the person that takes fandom way too far/seriously. I have calmed down a lot now since I am out of high school. It's nothing I can control so why get mad about it? I used to throw stuff, break stuff, just stupid things like that. I am a die hard Red Sox, Celtics, Predators, and Vanderbilt/Georgia fan. I live in Nashville but want to move to Boston once I am out of college. I have a feeling Boston is way more serious about sports than Nashville, actually I know they are.

5. Moyank24, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I would say this has less to do with sports and more to do with the attacker. if someone is going to pull a gun during an argument - I have a feeling he would pull a gun during any argument.

For every idiot like this guy...there are a thousand normal sports fans.

Edit: I say this as a diehard sports fan...My son's name is Gehrig. However, I certainly would never even consider using physical violence because someone didn't share my affiliations.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

In my observations sports brings out the worst in people. Maybe its just where I live but I have had:

-A guy scream in my face in a bar because I "disrespected the Steelers" by not watching a football game.

-A boss who gave me a write up for not wearing a jersey (that costs $130!) to work during the superbowl. (HR later got rid of it thankfully).

-Friends/Family/Coworkers who act all pissy if their team loses.

-Friends who make plans, then cancel because some silly game is on.

-A college 20 minutes from me (Penn State) riot because a coach got fired.

-I see news articles like the one above, or the poor person that was beat and is in a coma, or see all kinds of videos of soccer riots.

Its a game, and people let it control them for some reason. I don't understand it they aren't even playing in the game.

I understand not everyone is like this, but in my area where I live, almost everyone is like this and its sad.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I say this without any knowledge of the events, because I was not there, but it sounds to me like the shooter was "dissed", and that is a cardinal no-no in the current U. S. of A.

8. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

These are all valid points. I think the north takes their sports a little more seriously, especially New York and Boston. I live in Nashville where all we have an average NFL team, and average NHL team, and a below average NCAA school. It really depends where you live I guess.

9. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

It's fun to smack talk people, especially when they like a rival school, ala the Tar Heels and Duke basketball, but you have know when to take it as a joke and not personal. It's easy to do. Name calling means it is personal. Laughing and joking around a beer at the sports bar is a good time and a joke.

10. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

When I was in high school it all started as a nice joke, but it always turned personal.

11. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Well then stop talking to those people. People who take sports personal are the same losers who take the iOS vs Android thing personal.

12. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

They're my best friends (high school). Im out of HS now. I still hang out with them quite a bit but we've all calmed down since going to college. Now its like we go out of our way to compliment each others teams. Only problem is he is a Heat fan and I think he bandwagonned.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree with this now that you mention it. Friends of mine down south never get all crazy over sports, but up north they sure do.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm not sure your friends are good examples. I'm from NY and yes, we're crazy about sports - but in a completely different way. We're passionate about our Pro teams, and will talk smack with the best of them...We don't riot - win or lose. But life goes on during the off - season.

If you don't think Southerners are completely crazy about sports than you've never attended a Friday Night High School Football game or any SEC game. They take craziness to a new level - especially when we're talking about amateur athletes. HS and College football aren't a big deal where I'm from. Here, it's religion.

15. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I can vouch for that, being from Oklahoma. We don't have hardly any pro teams. We just got a pro basketball team. So HS and College are pretty much all we have. And we have our own in state College Rivalry as well.

I don't get the big obsession with sports. Sure I loved playing football in high school and I will always try to watch my OSU cowboys play, but I don't follow sports or watch ESPN at all.

16. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Yea, the only thing I see people get heated over down here is SEC is the best conference. But where I live one of the worst SEC teams are here. I don't see high school football being that bad in Tennessee. I see more fights between fans at Preds/Red Wings games than anything, which there is one tonight. Yay. Can't wait.

17. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Ten bucks says the shooter was an Android user.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Haven't been to an Alabama vs Auburn game have yeah! LOL... Or a southern Cal game of USC vs UCLA.

I don't care where you are, if you have rabid fans you are going to have trouble. Throw alcohol into the mix and it only gets worse.

19. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I love sports but the way I see it, I don't get paid either way so it does not bother me.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's not just sports either. It's EVERYTHING.

Cars, Religions, Brands, Music Artists, Movies, Computer Operating Systems, Video Game Consoles, it's EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE. It's how humans are, it's our biggest flaw.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

They certainly can bring out strong emotions, which can be a problem if you're dealing with the wrong sort of people. But these emotions are also what make sports so great, IMO.

And also one of our best attributes. Many (most?) of the amazing experiences I've had in my life are rooted in emotion that isn't rational.

23. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

24. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Couldn't have said it better myself.