Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

candyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, I am finally the proud new owner of a new 24" iMac 3.06GHz! Swapped out the two 1GB GB RAM sticks for two 2GB for a total of 4GB. Watched a DVD movie to make sure the drive works. Ran perfect.

Ran PiXel Check and found one dead pixel in the black color. Not noticeable at any other time unless the whole screen is dark or black and you are looking for it. Should not be too much of an issue. I have heard you used to be able to try and attempt to 'massage' these things out with some success. Anyone ever try? Looks like I would have to remove the glass pane to get to it and not sure I want to even try.

Everything else is great. I now understand the posts about the screen brightness being very bright even at its lowest setting. Installed Shades and all is good!

Ran all software updates and brought over all my files from my old machine. Just need to install all my design apps.

Here is a link to a few photos, nothing different or special but I know most like to see photos of these beauties.

http://idzynegraphics.com/Personal/iMac/

The 24" screen is HUGE! I come into work today to my 23" Apple Cinema Display and it seems small to me now!

I will also say for me personally, the built in speaker quality is above average. Nothing to wow you, but more than I expected from a desktop computer. Took my cheapy external speakers to work to use with my MB Pro as they really don't do much more than the iMac speakers.

Overall, very happy and satisfied with this machine after having spent an evening with it.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Congrats on your purchase - I absolutely love the design of the most recent iMac model...

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I have heard you used to be able to try and attempt to 'massage' these things out with some success. Anyone ever try? Looks like I would have to remove the glass pane to get to it and not sure I want to even try.

You could create issues if you get too carried away with rubbing the LCD. One dead pixel is not likely to be cause enough for warranty service by Apple.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ran PiXel Check and found one dead pixel in the black color. Not noticeable at any other time unless the whole screen is dark or black and you are looking for it. Should not be too much of an issue. I have heard you used to be able to try and attempt to 'massage' these things out with some success. Anyone ever try? Looks like I would have to remove the glass pane to get to it and not sure I want to even try.

congratulations! You can massage stuck (always on) pixels back to normal, but if it's dead then it's dead. If you can't even see it in normal usage then don't even worry about it.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
You could create issues if you get too carried away with rubbing the LCD. One dead pixel is not likely to be cause enough for warranty service by Apple.

Rubbing is not an option for the late aug/early 2008 iMac owners as a shield is in front of the lcd. That would require removing the shield (possibly void warranty).

candyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You could give this a try...

http://killdeadpixel.com/

Wow, that is interesting. Have you tried this before? I had never heard of such a thing. Learn something new and great everyday here!

I assume it's just stuck and not dead after reading up on this. The only way you can see it is if the whole screen is black and it stays lit as white (all three colors on). Does not show up any other way on red, green, blue or white screens.

I will give that little trick a try later tonight. Thanks for the link!

reclusivemonkey

macrumors 6502
Wow, that is interesting. Have you tried this before? I had never heard of such a thing. Learn something new and great everyday here!

I assume it's just stuck and not dead after reading up on this. The only way you can see it is if the whole screen is black and it stays lit as white (all three colors on). Does not show up any other way on red, green, blue or white screens.

I will give that little trick a try later tonight. Thanks for the link!

No problem. I can't vouch for it personally, I've been lucky enough to not have any problems with my LCD monitor. I have read reports that it can work, and its certainly easy enough to try.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Rubbing is not an option for the late aug/early 2008 iMac owners as a shield is in front of the lcd. That would require removing the shield (possibly void warranty).

Won't void anything if you don't break anything. This issue has been beaten to death in other threads around here:cool:

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
congratulations! You can massage stuck (always on) pixels back to normal, but if it's dead then it's dead. If you can't even see it in normal usage then don't even worry about it.

I thought so too, but have seen it as a solution for DEAD pixels at the following sites:

http://lowendmac.com/misc/2k0323.html

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/52

http://listserver.themacintoshguy.com/pipermail/ibook/2002-November/000118.html

and a number of others.

Whether its an old wives tale or not I have no I idea. I was warning the OP that if they decided to try it that it could result in a worse situation.

candyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I'll give those links a try with trying to visually massage the pixel. I would take off the glass, but I am also concerned about getting any dust or particles in there.

I only see the stuck pixel if the screen is black or dark and can not pic it out during any of my normal uses so it really is just a minor annoyance to me because I know how to find it.

Still an absolutely gorgeous monitor!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.