Welcome to POTD Update Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hello again, peeps.

I received a PM suggesting that the first post for each month's Photo of the Day thread could use an update. Here is the current format for discussion reference. I numbered the sections for this discussion.

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

For the most part I think it looks pretty good. And as for the stuff I would leave it in there. New people won't necessarily know how to do it and some people (including me) don't have the Auto TIMG browser extension.

I guess it could be streamlined, just mentioning that all the tutorials are in one place.

3. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Good idea Dale. I think the changes you have suggested would make it much less 'wordy' and give it a cleaner look. At the moment there's so much it's easy to gloss over.

No (2) says "Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures" but sometimes you'll see comments like "not one of my better ones but it's all I have for today". Does it matter? If it does, is there a way we can emphasise it more but if it doesn't matter do we need it at all? I'm not talking about how good a picture is, but how it is perceived by the person posting.

5. TheReef, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I like "It is now August on the International Dateline" as it is personally.

To share what I mentioned in the PM, I think bold headings would help, I think a lot of people will see that big slab of text and move on, best keep things short and clearly organised imo.

I also think keeping the "source" of the post in it's own google doc, for quick and easy reposting each month would be worthwhile, especially seeing there are now quite a few links to hook up.

I agree with the combining of TIMG related material.

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I agree with TheReef on the usage of bold headings as well, I think it would be helpful for those new to the site.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Rather than removing 4, why not just update it. Say something about changing the links to TIMGs.

Also, instead of the list of tutorials at the bottom, why not put a link to them next to their respective rules? For example: 5) *Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Observe the [​IMG]

8. Designer Dale, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Everyone gets like this now and then, it's just a part of human nature to be defensive about your work. That's what is beins done when someone says "Not my best..." or "All I have...". Let it be.

The date thing just sounds a bit Vulcan to me (my family nickname is Spock and my wife's is Captain). Perhaps just use contractions like this: It's August on the International Dateline.

Putting a copy of the opening post in my Google Docs folder is easy enough, but that dosen't guarantee it will be used correctly by the thread starter. Formatting will help in the organization. That's what is used for the intro to the Fortnightly Challenge. If a quote of a post is copied, it retains it's formatting. If a user just copies the post in forum, then it's lost.

Just a question for you. The formatting didn't carry over when you started the current Challenge. Did you copy the post or a quote of it?

9. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

New PDF

I have another revised pdf finished. It covers how to Quote, Multi Quote and Edit posts now that we are in the age of AutoTIMG...:)

Link to my Doc on google

Comments?

Dale

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Dale, It looks great. Thanks for all of the hard work. but am I missing something-how to post a picture? or is it somewhere else? This is the new link on your sig, correct. If so, then the" how to post" would be on the opening page I guess. Sorry if I am confusing things.:confused::eek:

12. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

There are three components that I am working on. How to post a photo from an online source, how to edit, quote and multi quote and using the AutoTIMG extention. Two are done but the one regarding posting a photo is the last to revamp.

Part of the suggestions put to me by TheReef is to put the first post in a text file in my Google Docs folder. Using that to start the thread would keep the formatting intact.

Dale

13. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

thank

Thanks for your efforts Mr Dale. It's appreciated. No doubt we all had a good refresher too when reading it over!

Barry

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks. Now I understand. I am sure the finished product will be a practical and useful source like the ones you've completed. Well done.

15. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

The contracted version may be the way to go.

This is true... and I didn't think about the quoting thing, which renders my suggestion unnecessary :p

Btw, nice work on the PDF!

16. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is the last of my revised PDF tutorials. It covers how to use Flickr and ImageShack to post to the forums. Check it out for me.

Posting Photos to Forums 2011

Dale

This finishes the technical stuff I need to do and I will be able to work on the text revision next week.

17. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

thanks Dale, very nice guide you have there
    no more thumbnailed pics for me:)

[​IMG]
    DSC_6173
    by Ravaroo, on Flickr

18. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Looking good, Dale. Great job!!

19. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks. It's nice to see my technical efforts being repaid with such good results. Great photo.

Dale

20. Designer Dale, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

Designer Dale

Updated August 23,

Here is where I am with the edit of the first post. Let me know what you think. All previous links in this thread probably don't work now. Use the ones here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's August on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, They are all here:
    Designer Dale's Google Docs

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post when you do. It maintains all the formatting and links.

21. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Looks good to me Dale, you've put in a lot of time and hard work on this and it's much appreciated. A very small point: some of the sections run together a bit into a block so as an experiment I made some of the spaces between sections a little bit bigger to break it up and make it easier to read. Everything else is the same. If you like it, okay, if you don't, also okay! :)

22. Designer Dale, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Designer Dale

Updated August 25,

Here is where I am with the edit of the first post. Let me know what you think. All previous links in this thread probably don't work now. Use the ones here.

Like so?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's August on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

(triple space)

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

(triple space)

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

(triple space)

For One-Click Access, They are all here:
    Designer Dale's Google Docs

(triple space)

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post when you do. It maintains all the formatting and links.
    ----------------------------------------------

Dale

23. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Yes, Like very much. Kudos for persistence and re-tooling.

24. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

25. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Last Call

Hi. Plenty of time to comment on this and no complaints, so I'm going to assume that this is OK with the users of POTD. I will send this to TheReef tomorrow so it can be placed in the current thread. I am also going to place a plain text copy of it in my Google Docs folder along with the tutorials. Then the next thread starter can either copy a quote of this months revised opening post or use the one in the folder. Both will maintain all the links and formatting.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. All of this grew out of requests from forum members, so if you have any ideas to make us better don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Dale