Well... (10.3 or 10.4 for G3 iMac?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by classof2011, Jun 5, 2007.

1. classof2011 macrumors regular

I've been reading these posts and now I wonder if my G3 will run fine?

It's a graphite...400MHz....512MB RAM...40GB HD...currently with 10.2

I have the install discs for both 10.3 and 10.4 .. which would be better? I'd love to run Tiger. But I'd rather run 10.3 if it's faster.

:apple: :apple: :apple:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Some people say 10.3. I say 10.4

Lots of RAM and a fast hard drive make the largest improvements.

3. classof2011 thread starter macrumors regular

The hard drive is a 7200RPM but I'm a bit afraid that it would overheat.

4. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

If you've got both disks, why worry? :D Since you have both, install Tiger, see how you like it, if you find it isn't as smooth as you'd like, install Panther instead. Obviously, Panther is going to be much snappier and smoother than Tiger, but Tiger will still run fairly well. You have enough RAM in there to run Tiger. My Power Mac has a 400mhz in it with a lot less RAM than you have and it runs Tiger fairly well to my surprise. Of course my main computer, my iBook is a 900mhz with 640mb RAM, if anything that is the machine that should be running Tiger, but Panther runs like a dream on it, and I don't want to lose that ;) . I'd say you'll be OK with Tiger, but like I said if it doesn't work the way you want, just throw Panther on there. Just get out of 10.2 :p .

5. classof2011 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I hear 10.2 is sloooww so I do plan on upgrading once my G3 arrives. I thought that if you have Tiger installed, it won't let you put Panther on it due to Panther being an older OS. But, I think I'll first put Panther on it and see if it's snappy-ness really makes a difference compared to what Tiger's slow speed would be. If I don't like Panther, I'll upgrade.

6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Tiger ran fine and dandy on my 333MHz imac before i upgraded to my MB. It ran everything comparably to the MB but in the reserved mode thang (no ripple effect etc). I say go with that

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Don't worry about it. Plenty of folks use 7.2k drives without any issues, myself included.

I've had both Panther and Tiger on my 500mhz G3. I can't really tell much difference in terms of performance between the two. Currently I'm running 10.3.9.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are two or three major things I've observed about this:

1) If you disable the dashboard, the memory footprint of Tiger is not much larger than that of Panther, although it is still slightly larger.

2) If you use Tiger, you really need to keep the HD >20% free, whereas you can go closer to full (probably to about 10-15%) in Panther.. so you should figure out if you can spare a few gigs to meet this requirement.

If you are willing to make those two sacrifices, I would say mos def Tiger over Panther.

9. classof2011 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm gonna try 10.3.9 first, but if I really get tempted to use Tiger, I'll see how it goes.

10. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

The reality is that if you can live without things like Dashboard and Spotlight than Panther is the way to go. Though I must say after working on my Power Mac with Tiger and moving to my iBook with Panther, I find myself missing Spotlight. I don't use Dashboard much so it doesn't bother me, but Spotlight is very handy a lot of times. If those things don't mean that much to you, Panther would be the obvious choice for the best performance or you could always run Tiger and disable Dashboard if you find the need for it.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

This is what I would do. If you are completely satisfied with Panther, I wouldn't even bother with tiger. But if you install Tiger, you might want to upgrade the RAM if you plan on keeping the computer for awhile longer, just to make things a bit speedier :)