Well... Accidentally ordered two SSD's. Return?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shanimal, Feb 6, 2012.

1. shanimal macrumors member

Just like the title states, i accidentally ordered two SSDs for my 15'' Macbook Pro; both are Crucial m4, one is 256gb and the other is 128gb. Since my apps and OS were going to be going on the SSD (256gb is the one i am deff. keepingg) and my media is going on the HDD 7200rpm, would i see the kind of speed difference putting my media on a SSD as opposed to HDD as i will see putting my OS and APPs on one? if not them i guess ill just have to return it.

Also, ive read somewhere that the manufactures advertise that a GB is 1,000,000MB but the OS thinks 1,024,000MB is 1GB. any way to make it look like 1mill MB is 1 GB in your OS? thanks.

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

PM'ing you the return address for the other SSD. Don't worry that it looks like a residential address in Florida ...

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Wouldn't bother putting you media on an SSD unless you mean a high selection of raw images.

Regarding the Gb/Mb - I think you have been fed misinformation, both manufacturers and OS see data in the same manner. Are you talking about how data is stored in respect of the old file systems like Fat16/Fat32/NTFS etc?

4. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

well, whenever i buy a HDD (like my 500gb i have now), or even a phone is on board memory (like the Galaxy Nexus. its advertised 30gb but i only get i think 26 or 28). i read up on why and i saw some posts where they said that its because the OS reads the GB's in the drive differently than the manufacturer does. thats why when the HDD says its 600gb, the OS reads it has less. Maybe i misread the post or theyre talking about something different.

What do you mean raw files? i wont have any noticeable speeds increases if my movies, music, or anything is on the SSD?

----------

Lol, whats the address :D?

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

6. dusk007, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There is no way to change that. It is however the OS likes to calculate it.
    I personally think the former aka base 10 is useless and should never be used. Base 2 is the only one truly relevant in computer science and the base 10 version exists only because the harddrive manufacturers like it as it looks better. RAM and stuff is usually always measured in base 2.
    There is some rarely used convention of calling the latter (base 2) Gibibyte GiB instead of GigaByte GB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GiB

Windows, OSX, Apps usually say GB and mean GiB yet sometimes they say GB and mean GB. ;) They always say GB and usually mean GiB.
    It has nothing to do with Filesystems is is just do you say 1 GB = 2^30 or 10^9 bytes.

PS: the stuff you wrote is wrong in any case 1000MB is 1 GB or 1 Million KB.

7. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

ok. i just went to this site and i put it 1024 in the MB slot and 1 came out in the GB slot. http://www.convertunits.com/from/MB/to/GB

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Wait, what?

Er, I mean, thank you, customer service will send that to you immediately!

:D

9. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the speedy response Mr. Customer Service Guy.

10. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

1024KB = 1MB
    1024MB = 1GB
    1024GB = 1TB
    etc.

The reason a lot of hard drives say 1000MB=1GB is so things look better, they are just rounding the number. If you bought a 750GB hard drive that was not rounded as 1000MB=1GB it would say 732.42GB.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No one has yet mentioned that Snow Leopard and Lion DO calculate 1 GB as 1,000 MB, not 1,024 MB. So when you put a 1 TB drive in a Mac running SL or Lion, it will say 999.98 GB, not something like 945 GB. However, that doesn't mean all your apps will calculate it that way (BootCamp Assistant still uses base 2 calculation, which is really weird).

12. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

are yo talking about putting two ssd's in as far as will you notice speed differences? obviously between the two drives transfers will be lightning fast compared to transfers between and ssd and hdd. but you are not keeping it. plus you will loose storage space if you needed it.

I currently have 2 120GB ssd's but only because mine came with one and I did not need a whole lot of storage so I installed a 2nd one for what little media and games I do keep stored internally. My boot drive is pretty much bare bones.

13. shanimal thread starter macrumors member

pretty much, all i want to know is if the speeds between my HDD and SSD when i am trying to listen to music will be the same as it is now. if its noticably faster when listening to music or watching movies than i might keep it.

14. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

For music and movies it doesn't make a difference whether or not they are on a SSD or a HDD. HDDs are plenty fast for those.

15. shanimal thread starter macrumors member