Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
netscape a division of aol time warner is suing microsoft for some oblong reason and if they win not only will they get money but might get access to IE source code, check out the cnet link below to read all about it netscape, linux on a pee cee, the world might come to its senses yet :)link

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
You know what...Netscape should just try and offer a decently fast browser than always bitch about how much Microsoft screwed them. Yes Microsoft engaged in unethical business practices years ago, but that was in the past. Sucks to be Netscape. They should have fought harder for damages then. It is completely illogical to require microsoft to release an OS without IE, Mediaplayer or whatever else it comes with. Look at Apple!! With the exception of IE, how else do you do things in OS X? Everything is an Apple made product. Quicktime is a fundamental piece of OS X, and Apple makes it. Look at iTunes, iMovie, and iDVD!! Why doesn't Netcape sue Apple for not including Netscape 6 in with OS 10.1? (other than the fact that it sucks) Netscape should just shut up and die quietly, but they won't because they have the deep pockets of AOL in their corner, and with microsoft under prosecution now, they have a chance of getting damages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Microsoft lover, but I think that Netscape is forgetting about what they should set their mind on.

-Pete

anshelm

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2002
"You know what...Netscape should just try and offer a decently fast browser than always bitch about how much Microsoft screwed them."

I don't know about how things are in the mac universe, but...

On my Linux disk, Mozilla (the open-source browser that Netscape 6.x is based on) 0.9.7 is blazing fast. Faster then IE is on my Windows disk. Netscape 6.2.1 (which is based on Mozilla 0.9.41), which I use on my Windows disk, is equally as fast as IE. (6.2.1 is MUCH faster then 6.0).

Like I said, I don't know how things are in the mac universe, but netscape IS offering a "decently fast browser", at least to 95% of the population.

"Netscape should just shut up and die quietly"

Naw. Microsoft should, but it won't happen. Even though Mozilla is much better then Netscape, SOMEBODY has to fight Microsoft and it's crappy products.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Netscape....the underdog...

even though I gave up on Netscape a while ago....I still go for the underdog....I really hope they are able to pull through an make something of themselves again....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.