Well, crap. Stolen iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pottebaum, Apr 7, 2011.

1. pottebaum macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I got a Verizon iPhone a few weeks after it was released, and a few days ago, it was stolen. I accidentally left it outside a classroom in my coat for 30 seconds, and it was taken from one of the pockets. And, of course, I don't have Find My iPhone installed. It froze up when I tried to install it the first time, and I never got around to trying it again. Still kicking myself over it.

I've suspended my number and basically given up hope of finding it, and the next upgrade on my line that I could use isn't until August. Has anyone here had decent luck with getting Verizon to bump up upgrade dates? I've heard of them bumping up the date a month...but never four. Ugh. I'm desperate.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. iFiend, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

Get a crappy phone and wait for the iPhone 5?

3. orange42 macrumors 6502a

4. Hannah Montana macrumors newbie

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Man 30 seconds? ... That really sucks. People need lives... An iPhone is not even that expensive... Any person working can afford one.

6. vabunuc macrumors member

yeah but why buy one when you can get one for free.
    thats the problem nowadays, everyone only cares about themselves. screw everyone else.

sorry you lost your phone dude.

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Bummer dude.

Dont forget to cancel your account.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh and uncaring - I TRULY do not mean it that way.

Consider this a valuable lesson, OP. There are people in the world (even on campus) that have no shame in stealing things from other people. With expensive gadgets, it's not a good idea to let them out of your sight, even for a moment. In the future, keep your laptop/phone/ipod in an interior pocket in your bag, and always keep your bag with you. Don't step away, even for a moment. How easy would it have been to simply slip your iphone into your pants pocket, instead of leaving it in your coat?

I AM truly sorry, OP. I wouldn't ever wish for anyone to have something stolen.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I would give Verizon a call and see what they can do for you

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

since the Verizon iPhone has an ESN, call them up and have that blocked from their network. no one will be able to activate it on an account if that ESN is blocked in their systems.

that's a good + from CDMA technology, but it sucks at the same time :eek:

let us know how that goes OP

11. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I would also call Apple with your serial number and see what they can do ....

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

My girlfriends purse was stolen and my iPhone was inside. He actually ripped it out of her arms which is considered robbery. It was stolen exactly one year from today and I waited from now until June 24. The wait went by fast, so OP you should just wait. Verizon won't bump up the upgrade date 4 months.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry to hear about what happened OP.

14. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

Bummer. Sorry to here your iPhobe was stolen.

15. utbaseball30 macrumors member

open a new line to get a new 2 yr contract and discounted phone

16. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I would recommend talking to your auto insurance company and ask about renters insurance. lol..I've said that like a million times in these threads but maybe they will allow you to add coverage and make a claim.

Sounds crazy from reading, I know but I think of how they backdate auto coverage, but of course that is without any existing claims. But nothing beats a failure but a try.

17. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

way to endorse insurance fraud... :rolleyes:

18. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

You don't need the app installed to utilize Find My iPhone as long as you activated it on your phone (ie. added your Apple ID as a MobileMe account in your mail settings).

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I'm assuming this happened in the states... In Canada you do see this, but definitely not as much, especially in schools. While I'm studying I ALWAYS see people leave their booth/table and have a nice shinny macbook sitting there, with an iPhone 4 right beside it. They come back in 15 minutes or so and continue whatever they were doing. No one touches their stuff. This is how the world should be... These self centered *******s need to get a life and stop causing problems for innocent people. I really hope your phone does turn up dude.

20. ipxmbx macrumors member

My iPhone 4 was stolen a month ago. I was sitting in Starbucks with three friends, my phone was on the table top next to me. A guy ran in, I was facing away from the door, he came up behind me grabbed it and ran. The room was crowded, that's why none of us saw him so it was a total surprise.

MobileMe came in handy, using my laptop enabled me to wipe it right away. Because it was password protected, it kept the phone locked down securely.

The surveillance cameras captured a clear image of him. I filed a police report and waited. It took the police a week to identify and find him. He was charged with grand theft, lost his scholarship and now he's in jail.

He sold the phone, but it was insured so I was covered. I must say I didn't expect to have something like that go down that day. The good news is everything worked out just fine.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

This is why I installed find my phone within seconds of getting home after getting my replacement.

22. ipxmbx macrumors member

After waiting for years, Apple finally came through. I was used to having that ability on my work issued BlackBerrys, without it on my earlier iPhones they felt quite vulnerable.

23. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

True, and where I used to live (Sacramento) all the robbers are stupid. The find my iPhone would have been PERFECT. But oh well, my phone doesn't leave my sight and I live in a nice area now.

24. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I never said to hide anything. I simply said to talk to them about it and see if they would allow such a thing. Reading comprehension is a virtue.

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

find my phone does not guarantee you will get your phone back. Someone who know what they are doing can get around it in only a minute or so.

The whole secret is to keep you phone on you as people make a living watching you and waiting for opportunity!