Well crap :/

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cooljoe349, Jul 15, 2010.

1. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

So i thought my graphics card died but it when I bought the GTX 285 and plugged it in the fans didn't even move.

I think it might be my power supple that died. Half of the fans in my macpro arent even moving.

2. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Are you able to?

1. Power up the computer - if you can do this, then possibly it might not be the power supply, because if the psu went up you wouldn't be able to turn it on at all.

What happens when you try to turn it on?

3. cooljoe349 thread starter macrumors regular

cooljoe349

The light on the front does come on I hear the harddrives kicking in but maybe one fan is running.

Its actually at the apple store right now.

4. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Ok, good..

This is a good sign.. the computer powers up, so we know its not the psu. Did you try an SMC reset? What make and model mac pro do you have? for instance, I have a 2009 mac pro model identifier: 4,1

What is yours? It could also be a faulty front panel module - that can be related to start up issues.. I had a similar problem when I owned a MDD G4 Mirror drive door a few years back.. Pushed the power button and the light comes on, but nothing else.

5. cooljoe349 thread starter macrumors regular

cooljoe349

Its a 2008 macpro 8 core 2.8. I hope so! I did not do a SMC reset. I wonder how much the front panel will cost?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

It could be the PSU or logic board.

The fan controller/s use a +12V source from the PSU. A failure could be the result of either a bad +12V rail in this case, or a bad fan controller (PWM Controller IIRC) on the board. There could be other issues on the board as well (not much information to go on here).

At any rate, let the Apple store do the diagnostics as they already have their hands on the system (hopefully get an accurate diagnostic rather than "shotgun" in replacement parts).

Ultimately, I hope it's something simple, as the PSU isn't cheap, and the logic board is quite a bit worse (last I checked the replacement part cost). :(

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

How were you powering the card?

Mine did the same thing when I attempted to run my X1900 off the Molex from the Optical drive bays (in an attempt to buy a mobo->PCIe power port adapter from OWC for $30).