Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyshehata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I know this is probably just another thread of someone saying something positive about the retina macbook pro. However, I have to say, this laptop is amazing.

I have had it for 2 months so far, and it's great in every possible way. It's superb in everything I've tried so far. Programming is a lot more relaxing to the eye with the retina display. Gaming is really really good for a notebook that light and portable. And browsing the web just feels A LOT better.

I know a lot of the people here are worried about buying it because of the many problems in here. However, I can assure you that these problems are not major, and even if they are, you can always keep exchanging your laptop till you get a perfect one.

For anyone out there who is thinking of buying it, I say go for it. Don't worry about all these issues because most of the time, they don't even exist. Image retention problem is really overrated (although you do have the right to be pissed if you paid $2000 on it, which is why I would say just keep exchanging it).

The laptop as a whole is really really nice. It's weight, the amazing speakers, an the awesome battery life also give it a huge plus. If anyone out there is hesitant or has any questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help :)

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
I love my mbpr! :D SSD is great, i dont think i can ever go back. And the retina screen is amazing!

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I moved away from PCs as of last month because I saw a common theme with manufactures. Apple does it first, others attempt to imitate. And I'm simply tired of it. I can dual boot with Windows, so people can't even justify buying a PC for Windows. Hardware and build quality is simply superior. I spend months waiting for that amazing PC, never happened. I thought the HP Envy 15 was great, but i ended up returning that. What a ripoff of Apple.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
I'm waiting for the next year Haswell upgrade, but only because I didn't have any money to buy the one that came out in June.

alyshehata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
WOW, now that is not a positive statement!

Actually, I find it positive that you can keep replacing your laptop as many times as you want. Obviously, if you find the first one you get satisfying, you can keep it. If not, you still have two options (refund or exchange). So it's sort of like a win-win thing. You win if you get a perfect one, and you still win if you exchange or return it because you tried it out at least.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Definitely getting one but I chose to wait for the second generation or the first minor bump if that comes first..... In the meantime my 2009 15" MBP is getting the job done.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
^^

I have to say that I too am not much of a first-generation buyer but I really wanted to get a new computer this year to replace my 2008 iMac--not when the next revision comes along. I loved the rMBP the first time I looked at one at Best Buy and I knew I would not be happy with anything else--so I took the plunge for the first generation although I did wait until October to get it. I've had it about a month and love it more each time I use it.:)

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I know this is probably just another thread of someone saying something positive about the retina macbook pro. However, I have to say, this laptop is amazing.

I have had it for 2 months so far, and it's great in every possible way. It's superb in everything I've tried so far. Programming is a lot more relaxing to the eye with the retina display. Gaming is really really good for a notebook that light and portable. And browsing the web just feels A LOT better.

I know a lot of the people here are worried about buying it because of the many problems in here. However, I can assure you that these problems are not major, and even if they are, you can always keep exchanging your laptop till you get a perfect one.

For anyone out there who is thinking of buying it, I say go for it. Don't worry about all these issues because most of the time, they don't even exist. Image retention problem is really overrated (although you do have the right to be pissed if you paid $2000 on it, which is why I would say just keep exchanging it).

The laptop as a whole is really really nice. It's weight, the amazing speakers, an the awesome battery life also give it a huge plus. If anyone out there is hesitant or has any questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help :)

Congrats! :)

Sorry to be one of those image retention-cultist, but I'm curious. Do you have the LG or the Samsung panel?

alyshehata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Congrats! :)

Sorry to be one of those image retention-cultist, but I'm curious. Do you have the LG or the Samsung panel?

It's a samsung. I did have an LG once though, but I replaced it for other reasons [the code to install mountain lion was invalid, so they gave me a whole new laptop with a different serial number].

I have to say though, the colors on the LG look slightly better. I would vote LG is better if the IR problem isn't too much. The samsung screen has better viewing angles and absolutely no IR, but when I compare it to a friend's LG screen, his colors look "deeper". Not a big deal though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.