Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I enjoy the feature. I also like having past photos right there also. Don't have to jump out to get previous photos on camera roll.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm trying to recall, but weren't some of these available in at least similar fashion in iOS 9 as well? Or am I thinking of something else (or another app perhaps)?

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Used this for the first time today. It was very nice and surprised me at first. One thing I did notice is that the picture did not end up in the photos app. Is that how it is supposed to work or did I miss something?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm trying to recall, but weren't some of these available in at least similar fashion in iOS 9 as well? Or am I thinking of something else (or another app perhaps)?

Yes you had quick access to the last few pictures in your camera roll right inside iMessage in iOS 9. But the feature of being able to take a picture from a little window right in there is new to iOS 10

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Used this for the first time today. It was very nice and surprised me at first. One thing I did notice is that the picture did not end up in the photos app. Is that how it is supposed to work or did I miss something?

This is how it works, and it is a huge fail. If you take a picture, how does it not automatically save into the device? You would have to go into the message and download the photo if you wanted to keep it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is how it works, and it is a huge fail. If you take a picture, how does it not automatically save into the device? You would have to go into the message and download the photo if you wanted to keep it.
It seems it's set up like that when the small viewfinder is used for the picture, if you go expand to go into the full camera mode then it will save the picture to camera roll as well.

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
It seems it's set up like that when the small viewfinder is used for the picture, if you go expand to go into the full camera mode then it will save the picture to camera roll as well.
Interesting. I'm guessing they will change this in a future release. Seems like an oversight not to include the pic in your own camera roll.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Interesting. I'm guessing they will change this in a future release. Seems like an oversight not to include the pic in your own camera roll.
Potentially. There's also potentially the idea that if you are snapping a quick small picture for the purposes of a message you might not necessarily want to save it elsewhere and just have it in the conversation (vs opening up the full camera view which is more of a deliberate action potentially signifying that you are more interested in the resulting photo). Not saying that's right or good necessarily, just a possible approach to it.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I also find it really annoying. The choice should be left to the user. Having to bring up the full camera view is slowing things down. Also, the + key doesn't work for taking the picture in this mode!

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
I also find it really annoying. The choice should be left to the user. Having to bring up the full camera view is slowing things down. Also, the + key doesn't work for taking the picture in this mode!

There are a lot of things that should be left to the user, however, they are not. The end user has very little control of the very expensive device. It makes no sense because you can customize the smack out of a Mac, but the iPhone? You still cannot turn that annoying whoosh off when you send a text message.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey

I'm actually coming from ios7 so there's going to be a lot of 'new old' stuff for me

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I actually prefer images taken and sent from within messages NOT saving to my camera roll. If it's a great picture and I want to save it, I'll do so right after I send, but usually the images I'm sending this way are more relevant to the conversation being had than something I would actually want to keep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.