Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bitmin1991

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I do miss iOS on my tablet. Here are my reasons:

1) Integration(!). Sure you log into a Google account, but it's nothing like a iCloud account where EVERYTHING is synced.

2) Lack of Apps or Lack of Quality apps: I've seen some quality apps in the Play Store (Rounds Holographic Score Pad) but most of them don't match Apple's UX/UI guide lines.

3) Fluidity of the OS: Most things in Android do match iOS in terms of fluidity. However there are several examples that don't. One is Chrome itself. Scrolling isn't iOS-style scrolling and sometimes links I click on won't even open.

The MAJOR awesome thing about Android is the swipe keyboard. However, sometimes even THAT is a pain in the ass.

Any thoughts?

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Well, I have a foot in most worlds. Thoughts:

• iColud works on Apple devices
  • Google works on Apple devices and Google devices and from within any browser
  • Believe it or not, Microsoft is the king of device agnosticism.

I've had no issues with sync, so the choice, for me, is simple. I mix Google and Microsoft, largely ignoring iCloud, even on my MacBooks and the iPad Mini.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

1) Integration(!). Sure you log into a Google account, but it's nothing like a iCloud account where EVERYTHING is synced.

2) Lack of Apps or Lack of Quality apps: I've seen some quality apps in the Play Store (Rounds Holographic Score Pad) but most of them don't match Apple's UX/UI guide lines.

3) Fluidity of the OS: Most things in Android do match iOS in terms of fluidity. However there are several examples that don't. One is Chrome itself. Scrolling isn't iOS-style scrolling and sometimes links I click on won't even open.

The MAJOR awesome thing about Android is the swipe keyboard. However, sometimes even THAT is a pain in the ass.

Any thoughts?

1) What exactly isn't syncing with Google services? I use Google for everything and everything syncs nicely (bookmarks in Chrome, email, calendar, contacts, Drive, Currents, Keep, Play media and games, Photos, Android Device Manager, plus everything in Google Now). And the beauty of using Google services is I can use them on Apple (Mac, iOS) or Google (Android, Chrome OS) devices--can't do that with Apple iCloud Services.

2) Won't disagree here--Android still has some ground to make up in tablet apps.

3) I'd consider fluidity and smoothness on par between the two but do agree about Chrome (which I find bewildering). The desktop version of Chrome is great but the Android version is subpar IMO. Heck, even the iOS version is smoother.

I like the keyboard in iOS, alway worked well enough for me (iPhone or iPad) and I'm still most accurate using it. That being said it is desperately in need of enhancement (better prediction and autocorrection) and I'd love to see swipe capabilities. Android keyboards offer tons of options/customization but I'm not nearly as accurate touch typing with them--take away all of the features and my typing on Android would be atrocious.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Only thing I miss is iTunes backup, specially for game progress. It's great being able to copy your game progress from your last iPad to the new one.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Only thing I miss is iTunes backup, specially for game progress. It's great being able to copy your game progress from your last iPad to the new one.

We have a mix of Android and iOS here. I can't believe that to this day Google hasn't implemented a way to do a full backup, like we can do with iOS and iTunes.

When we upgrade to a new iOS device the transition is completely transparent. With Android, you loose all of your app data (unless you root your phone and use a utility to backup the phone to you computer).

I love having a complete backup on iTunes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Any thoughts?
Google will keep all of your calendar and contacts backed up......Dropbox can sync all of you pictures...videos...documents the same as photostream does only better because it is cross platform. It will sync all pictures taken with ANY device to the cloud then back down. Appbrain can backup/restore all of your apps on a Android device. Titanium Backup will do the same if it is rooted. Allot of us will say the playstore has just as many quality apps as the app store does......Then of curse there is the customization........

----------

We have a mix of Android and iOS here. I can't believe that to this day Google hasn't implemented a way to do a full backup, like we can do with iOS and iTunes.

When we upgrade to a new iOS device the transition is completely transparent. With Android, you loose all of your app data (unless you root your phone and use a utility to backup the phone to you computer).

I love having a complete backup on iTunes.

you are right....it is a feature gap that Google should take care of.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.