Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeyEatWorld

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Iowa City, IA, USA
I went from the MacBook Air to the Surface Pro 4 in October. I had so many problems with the SP4, and Microsoft even was hesitant to assist me with fixing the problems. After lots of patience I couldn't stand having to deal with bugs several times a day and constant restarts to fix the issues. I'm sure others love their device, but I just couldn't deal with it so I swapped it for the iPad Pro. Very happy with my decision. The only thing I miss is no file explorer due to the OS, but there's work arounds for it that far outweigh my bug issues with Microsoft.

I got duped by the SP3 with bugs. Got duped again on the SP4. I'd say I learned by lesson to stay clear of Microsoft.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm so much happier with my iPad Pro than my Surface Pro 3.

I started out very enthusiastic about the SP3, but steadily grew disenchanted with it due to its short battery life, tendency to run the CPU full blast for no apparent reason (despite being VERY careful about what I installed on it) and lack of finger-friendly advanced software like Word & PowerPoint. The app store Tablet-mode app were (are) absolutely terrible, with a few notable exceptions. And standard Windows apps were practically unusable without a mouse/trackpad, keyboard and a table to put it all on.

Despite some apps being less feature-filled on the iPad (i.e., Word, PowerPoint), one can actually use them on the go, without resorting to transforming it into a glorified laptop. And believe it or not, iOS integrates far better into my workplace's IT and security infrastructure than does a BYOD Windows-based device.

So for me... for what I do on a mobile device... the iPad Pro is the winner.

Reactions: sracer

sregreb

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
I had been seriously considering the Surface Pro 4, but after researching for the past few weeks, I just cannot consider it as a viable option. So I went ahead and purchased the iPad Pro 128gb and keyboard.

There were way too many reports of people having issues with their surface pro 4. Alternatively, I have found very few reports of issues with the IPP.

I can honestly say after using it for just a few hours. I am really impressed by the quality of the IPP. I can definitely see this as a viable tool to working on documents, powerpoints, pdf's and other work related items.

This thing has been working out pretty great for me. And if you have any artistic tendencies or note taking needs its a must have. This review pretty much sums up my experience....

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
And btw...if you're gonna dock your laptop to monitors and dongles the whole time, why don't you just use a desktop? That's what I use. That's what most IT professionals and programmers use.

I know this is off topic, but I really want to know what your basis for the claim that most programmers use desktops is. Maybe my experience is limited, but every single company where I have worked, or my wife has worked, or my friends have worked, the developers use laptops. They can't afford to leave their machine at the office in case an emergency arises.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
So I exchanged my white silicon case, white Smart Cover and silver IPP for a space gray IPP and smart keyboard.

It amazes me how good apple is with returns and their no hassle process. They didn't even open my iPad to see if accessories or Anythjng were there or even reset.

I wasn't a fan of the keyboard in the store but going to try it for the 14 days and see how it goes.

Loved the look of the all white setup but this will suit my professional needs better from an aesthetic perspective and work needs.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I had been seriously considering the Surface Pro 4, but after researching for the past few weeks, I just cannot consider it as a viable option. So I went ahead and purchased the iPad Pro 128gb and keyboard.

There were way too many reports of people having issues with their surface pro 4. Alternatively, I have found very few reports of issues with the IPP.

I can honestly say after using it for just a few hours. I am really impressed by the quality of the IPP. I can definitely see this as a viable tool to working on documents, powerpoints, pdf's and other work related items.

I have both, and the Surface 3. And yes - the Surface Pro 4 is a work in progress. Windows 10 is evolving (or constantly in beta, depending on your view. Mine is that Windows Phone is a beta disaster, Windows is actually getting there).

But it's ultimately a much more useful machine - and more productive too in the way a 'full' OS works - overall. The hardware's much better for productivity as well, not just in terms of the CPU and memory / storage but also in terms of things like the Type Cover, which blows the iPad cover clean away. The iPad for me is, well, the ultimate iPad. It does stuff I want an iPad to do (none of it in the 'productivity' arena) well, and the Pencil is a bonus. It actually works pretty well in the Microsoft apps too, including OneNote which I pretty much live in. But drawing parallels between the SP4 and the iPad isn't really viable - if you take the fanboiish aspects away then the iPad is a much simpler product, for better and for worse. And anyone moaning about the runtime of the SP vs the iPad Pro really needs to examine their priorities and wonder if the problem is just that they don't know what they want.

The Surface 3 is really more comparable to the iPad Pro, and that (alongside other Atom tablets) is what I do the bulk of my mobile work on - so again, more useful, and again better hardware IMO for the purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

I am sure Tim Cook is proud of you!

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
but every single company where I have worked, or my wife has worked, or my friends have worked, the developers use laptops.

I have to second this. I've been a professional developer for around 8 years, and every company I've worked with issues laptops. It is very rare for a company, or even a startup, to not issue laptops, or to have a desktop request.

Reactions: Bbqthis

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
But it's ultimately a much more useful machine - and more productive too in the way a 'full' OS works - overall. The hardware's much better for productivity as well, not just in terms of the CPU and memory / storage but also in terms of things like the Type Cover, which blows the iPad cover clean away.

I don't believe that the Surface 3's hardware is more powerful than the iPP's. You may prefer the Type Cover but that's a subjective argument, as is your statement that the Surface 3 is a more "useful machine", which of course depends entirely on what you want from a productivity tablet.

Personally, I thought the newest Type Cover was really bouncy and hollow-sounding when in its "horizontal mode"; I didn't care much for typing on it. On anything but a hard surface it also made balancing the SP4 more precarious. The Smart Keyboard may not tilt, but in my experience it makes for a more stable all-around surface (no pun intended) for the iPP to sit on when used in non-optimal situations (e.g. on the lap or on a bed).

The whole "full" OS argument has been done to death, and I hate to beat a dead horse, but iOS works fine as long as you know how to adapt your workflow to take advantage of it. That's the long and short of it, really. You may not want to do that or you may have things you do that really just can't be adapted to a true tablet, but I maintain that if that's the case I don't understand why you wouldn't just opt for a really great laptop instead of the mediocre mix of both worlds that the Surface offers. That's just me, though; I'm glad there are options for others who disagree.

EDIT: You might have meant that the SP4's hardware was more powerful on second glance; if that's the case I won't argue except to say that raw power is a small factor in the overall user experience.

Reactions: bensisko

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
You may prefer the Type Cover but that's a subjective argument

That in itself is a really subjective argument. Are you seriously telling me you prefer the keyboard feel of the Smart Cover to the Surface Type Cover? I mean, why not go the whole hog and just have keys made out of steak :d

On anything but a hard surface it also made balancing the SP4 more precarious. The Smart Keyboard may not tilt, but in my experience it makes for a more stable all-around surface (no pun intended) for the iPP to sit on when used in non-optimal situations (e.g. on the lap or on a bed).

I have to say there's a lot of unsubstantiated subjectivity in that too - so much so that while yeah. we can attribute keyboard preferences to personal preferences to a degree (though I contend not to the differences between the Surface and the iPad), I really have to question whether you've owned a Surface given what you said above. The iPad is definitely less stable on a knee, and you're also fighting the weight of the iPad with the keyboard bouncing around.

Last edited:

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That in itself is a really subjective argument. Are you seriously telling me you prefer the keyboard feel of the Smart Cover to the Surface Type Cover? I mean, why not go the whole hog and just have keys made out of steak :d

Yes, I'm really telling you that, and yes of course it's a subjective argument: that's my entire point. Saying that one thing is objectively better than the other when it comes to things like experience and usefulness is a fruitless endeavor, because your needs/wants are not the same as mine.

I have to say there's a lot of unsubstantiated subjectivity in that too - so much so that while yeah. we can attribute keyboard preferences to personal preferences to a degree (though I contend not to the differences between the Surface and the iPad), I really have to question whether you've owned a Surface given what you said above. The iPad is definitely less stable on a knee, and you're also fighting the weight of the iPad with the keyboard bouncing around.

What is "unsubstantiated subjectivity"? Subjective opinions are substantiated by our own personal beliefs/experiences; I don't have to substantiate my thoughts or preferences to anyone but myself. I have indeed owned both and while I would never say that the Type Cover is in any way bad, I just prefer the look and feel of the Smart Keyboard. The racket that the Type Cover made when really wailing away on it, especially in a quiet environment like my office, was almost obnoxious. The trackpad was mediocre; certainly subpar pitted against my rMBP trackpad. And I stand by my claim that I feel more comfortable with my iPad tethered to the long surface of the Smart Keyboard than the three points of contact made by the Surface Pro 4, especially because with the Smart Keyboard I can literally pick up the entire device by the keyboard portion alone whereas with the SP4 it was a series of hinges with multiple points of failure.

You're making a lot of statements as if they're facts, and though you're welcome to your opinion I would suggest trying to temper some of your enthusiasm and realize that when it comes to things like comfort and personal preference, there's far more gray than black or white.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
I didn't really have a laptop or workstation at home, mainly because I don't work at home because the last thing I want to do on a day off is work haha

I was skeptical about the iPad pro because when ever I got iPads I got bored really easy with them. So I just took the plunge and got one haha

It amazes me that just changing the screen size changes so much. I'm stoked with it.

I'm still getting the MacBook Pro when it eventually comes out, mainly because I might start working at home sometimes instead of in the office, however just as a casual machine this pro is perfect.

I'm viewing my rebut models and marking up my drawings when I'm at home and at work, I use it solely for all my emails to save space on my work screens. I have been doing all my word documents etc on it.

It's the perfect companion Device.

Reactions: ZombiePete

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California

Wise choice, I returned my sp4 after I got an iPad pro. iPad fits my doodling needs better.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Keyboard preference is COMPLETELY subjective. I do own a Surface Pro 3 and an iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard. From a typing perspective, I love the Smart Keyboard on the iPad Pro MUCH better than the Surface Pro 3 Keyboard Cover - It's not even close! When it comes to design, the Surface Cover is certainly much more elegant. I do like the built-in kickstand on the Surface Pro 3 (because of the various angle choices), but they would have had to change the ascetics of the iPad, and I'm not sure that would work. I also like that the Surface Pro is less complicated and you're ready to type faster - HOWEVER, the keyboard cover is TOTALLY awkward if you want to fold it back and use it as a tablet (I feel like I might accidentally dislodge keys) - which means I either have to take it off and put it on backwards, or just rip it off and put it aside (not always a good option).

While each certainly have their advantage and disadvantage, I still prefer the Smart Keyboard.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Congrats and welcome to the family! I bought an iPad Pro on launch day and got rid of my MacBook on the same day. To date I have applied to grad school, written elaborate excel spreadsheets, edited photos and videos, taken notes with Apple Pencil, composed countless emails, and most importantly, haven't missed my MacBook a single day thus far.

My only gripe is that the iPad Pro does flex and has the potential to get bent. Mine developed a very slight curve on the right side (long side), but nothing I couldn't correct with a little force in the opposite direction. I have owned iPads 1, 3, 4, Air, Air 2, Mini, Mini 4 and none of them have bent, so I was quite disappointed. I really baby my device and have no idea how it happened, but I certainly haven't abused my device or stuffed it in any backpack pockets. Regardless, **** happens and life moves on...buy AppleCare is all I can say.

Enjoy it!

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Similar situation here ...

Last Tuesday, I went to Best Buy to pick up a Surface 3... it was incredibly appealing for $500. Quad core Atom, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. I was looking for a Microsoft Office tablet.

After spending about 6 hours installing patches, firmware updates, etc. I was able to get Office installed and really start to use it.

I was pretty excited at first, especially for what I paid... it seemed like a pretty capable device. My experiences with it declined at an expoential rate and it was returned two days later on Thursday.

Lessons learned:
  1. Windows 10 still doesn't know what it is. Using it strictly as a tablet OS with no keyboard or mouse (only a stylus) is still very painful and unintuitive in many areas. It's clunky and inconsistent. I think Microsoft did a commendable job improving over Windows 8, but mostly for desktop users.
  2. Palm rejection, even when switched to "left handed" mode, sucks. My palm was marking, panning, etc. making my writing/drawing experience incredibly frustrating.
  3. The Surface 3 was released on May 5th, 2015. Even with all of the updates installed, it was still incredibly buggy, had driver issues causing blue screens, and also randomly "black-screened" - requiring a 5-10 second power button press to force power-off. It crashed on me three times (blue screen with some sort of power state driver error) and black-screened on me twice. In 24 hours. Google searching and forum reading indicate the issues were common with no known fixes yet.
That was enough for me... I had no more patience left to discover all of the other issues I'm sure I was destined to have with it.

I bought a silver iPad Pro 128GB Wi-Fi, Apple Smart Keyboard, Apple Pencil and Apple white silicon case. I couldn't be happier. Everything just works. I was a little worried about the Apple Smart Keyboard, specifically when it comes to stability on various surfaces like my lap. I'm typing this with the keyboard on my lap right now with no issues. First impressions are fantastic, though I will admit I am probably duped a bit by "The Contrast Effect" right now based on my experience with that joke of a whatever it thinks it is Surface 3.

Very interesting post, thank you for this. I also found it very interesting as I'm planning on moving to a location that I'd be taking public transportation every day and I'd like a tablet to do reading and light Remote Desktop work. The surface3 LTE option looked interesting but something told me that Windows 10 just isn't ready. Typing on the apple keyboard right now, it's amazing good. I like it better than the MacBook retina keyboard only because it's more forgiving on my callus fingertips from playing the guitar.

Reactions: CjonesHouston

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
Very interesting post, thank you for this. I also found it very interesting as I'm planning on moving to a location that I'd be taking public transportation every day and I'd like a tablet to do reading and light Remote Desktop work. The surface3 LTE option looked interesting but something told me that Windows 10 just isn't ready. Typing on the apple keyboard right now, it's amazing good. I like it better than the MacBook retina keyboard only because it's more forgiving on my callus fingertips from playing the guitar.
I own a Surface Pro 3 with the new 2015 type cover and I own a iPP 128gb Silver. I use my iPP for almost everything. The only time I use my Surface Pro is for USB file management. The keyboard is better on the Surface. Due to it being backlit but having it sit on my lap for over 15 minutes it becomes uncomfortable. With the kickstand stabbing into my legs. I prefer the iPP and a desktop Mac as my main tools for productivity. The Surface just doesn't have the app support or OS to be a real media consumption device. I only keep it now. For the times when I might need a Windows device.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I had an Air last year, then sold it because it was just too slow, the screen too small and the audio lacking rich fidelity. The iPad Pro fixes all that.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Gonna sell my SP2 to part fund the IPP. i feel the surface is great if you are either looking to replace your laptop or do not own a laptop but i have a 2012 cMBP that i have no plans on upgrading or selling anytime soon. As a result it was painfully clear i had no use for the SP2 because in every scenario i would prefer the MBP due to the screen size.

i've messed around with the IPP briefly the size is a little intimidating but i like the idea of having a larger display for movies, games, browsing, reading and annotating. Use to have a note 10.1 2014 and while annotating could be a pain at times, multi window was nice but still a bit cramped so i only used it when it was necessary. The size and aspect ratio on this will alleviate that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.