Well I finally did it...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by el-John-o, Jan 10, 2011.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

After months of CONSTANT use with my iPad, using it EXCLUSIVELY for web browsing, leaving my PC and Laptop in the dust... I've finally done it.

I've visited a website that I could not view because of a lack of flash. I took a long time, but I think we may have found the site for our next archaeological dig :cool:

This is in response to a couple of threads where someone mentioned that you can't view "95% of the internet" because of the lack of flash. So far, I haven't been able to view ads on certain webpages, besides this one website. While this makes me very sad inside, I think I'll live. By my amateur calculations less than 1% of my browsing, so far, has been disabled due to the lack of Adobe Crash on this device.

-John

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i have to agree with you. there is no problem surfing the web on the ipad without flash. i haven't found a single website (apart from youtube, which doesn't count due to the app) that i couldn't view because the ipad doesn't support flash.

3. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Replace that with the name of almost anything flash-intensive (like the Video on Demand services, like Xfinity, Hulu, Netflix), and you've got Exhibit B why Flash doesn't matter, ha!

4. jdcell100 macrumors regular

I never have a problem viewing web sits with my iPad had mine since June use it in place of laptop only time I turn my laptop on is when I sync my iPad maybe once every 6 weeks

5. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Cant view most of stephenking.com without flash.

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Then don't view it. Send the webmaster a note as to why you don't visit the site. Don't fire up your laptop to goto it, just quit going until they fix it.

MAKE THE WEBSITE CATER TO YOUR NEEDS, NOT YOU TO THEM. THEY WANT YOUR TRAFFIC.

7. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

8. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

It's been happening ALOT lately, Advertisements on websites are slowly starting to "work" on my iPad, indicating that advertisers are figuring out that they are getting ripped off since so much of the worlds internet traffic is on iDevices, and it's not THAT difficult to make an advertisement something other than flash!

Once stephenking.com gets a new webmaster (people don't live forever nor do they stay in the same jobs forever, especially if their product is losing popularity), it will almost definitely flip to a new format, after all that's what their being taught nowadays.

9. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

It's run by one of King's best friends. She's not going anywhere.

10. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

She'll never retire or die? Boy your optimistic.

Besides, that's 1, even if King choses his niche website to stay flash (which is totally fine), it doesn't change the fact that the web is headed inevitably to HTML5 or SOMETHING besides flash. I do think that, Stephens friend or not, she'll eventually make the leap to something besides flash. No traffic is no traffic, ESPECIALLY for an author. People buying his novels to read on their iPads, and not being able to view his website? C'Mon.