Well i finally did it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marine610610, Apr 7, 2007.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

Due to the college and work schedule of that i am on, along with my wifes college schedule, i went ahead and purchased a MBP instead of waiting for leopard. It serves all my needs and makes life easier on us so i decided to go ahead. Anyway this is my first Mac and im already a little confused. I havent even figured out how to go full screen with the webpages..... I also got Applecare and the new 802.11 n router. I used the education discount so it wasnt too bad. Anyway im really posting to ask for any advice... i.e. things you should do/install as soon as you get your Mac. Also what is the webpage for the free version of Office software that is compatible with MS Office? Thanks ahead of time for all of your help.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

For Safari, the bottom right corner of the window, drag the window to whatever size you'd like. :)

3. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

During setup ITunes is asking if i should let it handle my internet audio content, good idea or not? Why or why not? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the hang of it...

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, that's okay to say "Yes" to.

5. skwij macrumors 6502

Congrats!

Windows in OS/X don't open fullscreen, they open only as large as "needed" to view all content. Much nice, IMO, once you get used to it.

NeoOffice can be downloaded here: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Oh, and be sure you read the How to Install Apps link on this forum. It's a little different than Windows, WAY easier, and far less messy.

6. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to "lock" the machine kind of like windows? Also when i change the resolution in "displays" the new webpages i pull up look a little fuzzy? Does this sound right? Again thanks for all of the help so far. By the way i wanted to ask if Firefox was preferred by most users to Safari. Also if i install NeoOffice for now and want to uninstall later to install MS Office, will i find slop traces of the NeoOffice software all over the place?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You shouldn't need to touch the resolution, you want 1440x900 for a 15" and something a bit higher (1680x1050?) for a 17".

If your purpose of changing resolution is to make the text bigger, go to View > Make Text Bigger :)

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

You also need to get the hang of the lowercase 'i' as in 'iTunes'. :eek:

You will not.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Go here. Click the download link and it will download and install a Widget for you (I'm assuming you know where the dashboard is? Press F12 to get there =]

I use Safari, I find it's faster, integrates nicer with OS X and is nicer on the eye.

I'd set the resolution as high as it can possibly go. The idea behind OS X is that it's arranged like a desk. With Windows, people usually have their programs full screen. With OS X, windows only take up half the screen space at most, with other windows usually visible behind them. It's much more like a desk this way. You'd never cover your entire desk with one single document you're working on. Higher screen resolution = a larger desk.

And no to NeoOffice, it's a case of dragging the NeoOffice icons into the trash can. =]

10. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help. No one mentioned whether or not apple has an equivilant to locking the machine? Id like to be able to walk away from the machine and lock it without leaving it open for everyone to view accounts i am working with.. Thanks again fellas. The forum has been very helpful.

11. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

You can create User Accounts, logging in with passwords.

12. skwij macrumors 6502

And once you've done that, you can use the Locker widget to immediately lock the machine down, requiring a re-log-on to continue working.

http://bluecouch.com/locker/

I've got my Macbook setup to always require a password when logging on, even though there's just the Admin account, and my user account, which isn't an Admin account.

13. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Also for locking you can set a password, im guessing you have and than open system preferences, and go to security and check require apssword to wake this computer from sleep of screensaver. Hope that helps.
    Congrats on the mac!

:)

14. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

There's also an integrated version of locking your computer w/ Mac OS X.
    Spotlight Keychain Access. Preferences. Show status in meu bar. Lock screen. :)

Attached Files:

15. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome tips guys. Thanks! I finally got the airport extreme up and running with the PC's and the MBP. I thought there was a slight difference when running between N only and mixed mode, maybe it was just me.

If anyone thinks of any other configuration type tips or do's and dont's i appreciate the advice. This is my first Mac, and i probably have 3 hours total Mac time in my life.

16. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

If you run mixed speeds they will all run at the slowest speed.

17. ryano macrumors newbie

an alternative way to 'lock' your machine, download winswitch

http://wincent.com/a/products/winswitch/

switches to the login window using the cube effect, even pausing itunes :) and you dont have to create an additional login to use it like fast user switching

18. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

If i remember correctly the router had a mix-mode setting consisting of B/G/N, an N at 2.4ghz setting, and an N setting at 5ghz. If i run the mixed mode setting but have no "B" devices on my network do i still only get 11mbps? I have two G PC's and my N enabled MBP.

19. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

It will run at the lowest speed actually in use.