Well... I got hacked.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Jul 16, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Someone, IDK who, hacked my MySpace account and Facebook account and deleted everything. IDK how they did it seeing not a lot of ppl know my .mac address and no one knows my password but they did.

The funny thing is tho... if you know my Facebook email and password, you'd know my .Mac password so why didn't they hack/delete everything on my .Mac account? I'm glad they didn't but if you wanna cause that much damage... you know.

Any who, I have changed every single one of my passwords (including my .Mac account) so hopefully this won't happen again. As for my MySpace and Facebook? It's gonna be a long time before I get those back up and running. I gotta add all those ppl again.

*sigh*

Okay I'm done.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Bummer dude. You should look into 1password for password management. Then you could have complex passwords for all your services and you would only need to remember one

3. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Hm... being that its just the social networking sites... perhaps its someone you know? Maybe a crazy jealous ex or something? Just a thought, but sorry to hear.

4. mooncaine macrumors regular

I saw your post, and then, later today, came across this, which is about how spammers can get past the annoying "CAPTCHA" images that we are faced with when we try to create accounts or change passwords:

http://tinyurl.com/6on9e6

Maybe your attacker used one of those tricks.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good article. Probably what happened.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Not a nice thing to happen, but at least they only deleted your Facebook and MySpace pages. You might want to try something like this to ensure that you have a good strong password. You don't want this to happen to something more important like your online banking!

8. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Okay. I tried using the passcode strength tester but all the ones I entered (that I have a chance to remember) are all weak. How do I come up with a sophisticated passcode that is hard to hack but is easy to remember? Also, what is considered a "strong" passcode?

9. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

throw in numbers for letters... like 0's for O'sm 1's for I's or 3 for E's... use L33t speak if you will. It strengthens passwords quite a bit even with 1 or 2 replacements, and you can remember them.

Edit: try the link that from another link was in a previous post :)

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/create.mspx

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Not that it helps you, but know that you aren't alone. Apparently someone either got into my long-time-unused Friendster account or spoofed a message alert from them. I wouldn't be surpised if the former.

11. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Some one hacked into my email and sent a message to all my contacts saying I was stuck in Nigeria and needed money. Then changed the password.

It does suck. I could not delete my MySpace because it was set up on that email. :(

12. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

You could also use Capital letters for one or a couple of letter. So say your password was buyers, you could spell it Buyers and then add a number or two, maybe your favorite number, so Buyers29 makes it a pretty strong password.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Link to Password checker, plus tips on making stronger passwords

14. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I agree, 1Password is a great little app that sits on your address bar. I recommend it..

Attached Files:

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Use symbols that require using the shift key... That helps a lot right off the bat. Also, insanely long passes help to deter jerks who might see you enter 'em frequently.

16. lacereza macrumors regular

Replacing letters with numbers helps, but they're getting around that. Anything based on a dictionary word or common name is not going to be strong enough.

albert sucks
    Alb3rt is a little bit better but still not good
    AlbY4402 is strong.

Rather than a word, you can use a phrase as your prompt, like
    TAA2tosbt
    could be prompted by
    this above all: to thine own self be true

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

That password checker is kind of crap. It tests for length, and one each of letter, number and symbol.

!1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa = "best" strength.

I work in an environment where we rotate a number of passwords on a number of schedules, so I have a lot of experience coming up with them. The best security is to change your password often, and always ensure you're using passwords of different lengths and compositions. For example, your password for Q1 might be "i@tplltg;", and for Q2 it might be "><o3744918*2", which has a strong variance in length and composition.

(I made both of those up from scratch, no, they won't get you into any of my accounts)

18. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

cosign. I don't think I've been "hacked" and that's the technique I employ. Technically impossible to brute force and complicated enough that nobody would remember it even if they saw it.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't think you can, not in today's world. Those two phrases are not compatible today.

Probably something I would have to write-down. ;)

1Password sounds good, but an icon is not unlike a list in your desk drawer. The trick is to keep people from looking in the drawer. :rolleyes:

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

How about phishing? Did you click a link in a e-mail and log in?

21. WeakAdrenaline macrumors newbie

I work for a major bank in eCrime detection, believe me, someone hacking your myspace and facebook is the least of your problems. Count yourself lucky they didn't obtain your internet banking details.

22. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I don't have online banking. However, I'm glad they didn't get into my MoblieMe account.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry to hear.

Definitely need strong passwords these days.

So true.

Recently, one of my banks upset me -- at first -- when they changed their log in system. Now, however, I really like it because it is much more secure. Unfortunately, programs like 1password and such will not work with it. But these days, added security is worth it. Better than being hacked.

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Like everyone else said, long passwords with capital letters and symbols.

I use sentences and change them every few weeks, mine for my school account was 01189998819991197253 once!

A example of a sentence I used is: "South Park is the new Simpsons", with the spaces and capitals, its a unbreakable password, random sentences are very hard to guess also because they are completely random.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

While not bad, this password system not as secure as you think that it might be. It can be hacked given time and resources since a dictionary type attack could be used.

Throw in a few numbers and punctuation if you want a much more secure password.